Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:54 PM   #1

Default Nikon P90 cool Pix Help Sorry newbie posted in Canon first.

I just got my camera yesterday. Has 24x zoom, etc. Now I tried to take dog pictures today with and without the flash but the pics were dark as the dogs were black and you couldn't see their eyes. I tried fixing them with my photo editor program on my computer but never could see their eyes. I can't figure out how to get a decent photo from 3 feet to 5 feet away. What is the very basic settings I need to know? The book is so big, and it doesn't tell you how to delete more than one photo of your memory card at a time, or how to preview them. Or I can't understand their book. Also I installed the software but it never recognized my camera? Do I need to have a special SD Memory Card? Also we used a yellow blanket for the backround and the dogs white was yellow? Help!!
Thanks in advance
Connie418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie418 View Post
I just got my camera yesterday. Has 24x zoom, etc. Now I tried to take dog pictures today with and without the flash but the pics were dark as the dogs were black and you couldn't see their eyes. I tried fixing them with my photo editor program on my computer but never could see their eyes. I can't figure out how to get a decent photo from 3 feet to 5 feet away. What is the very basic settings I need to know? The book is so big, and it doesn't tell you how to delete more than one photo of your memory card at a time, or how to preview them. Or I can't understand their book. Also I installed the software but it never recognized my camera? Do I need to have a special SD Memory Card? Also we used a yellow blanket for the backround and the dogs white was yellow? Help!!
Thanks in advance
What kind of photo are you taking 3 to 5 feet away? In the sun with shade over the target? All sun? Indoors? As for the pics without the flash, were you set to P, A, S, M, or Auto?

To delete multiple photos, press the Play button to get into Playback mode, then the Menu button. Make sure you're on Play options (the second tab on the left side), then go to Delete. Choose "Delete Selected Photos" and it allows you to pick multiple pictures. You move between photos with left and right and choose photos to delete with up and down.

Any SD or SDHC card should work, but check out the Nikon support page for exact certifications.

Lastly, on the pic with the dog you will probably need to play with white balance. While in P, A, S, or M modes you can go to the Menu and pre-set your white balance to let the camera know what "white" looks like under your current lighting. You also may need to adjust your focus area.

Hope this helps!
stevek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:18 AM   #3

Default Dog Pictures indoors with a big light above

She has a big chandalier above her table where we took the photos. Without the flash the pics looked the same almost, except for the yellow cast from the yellow blanket with the flash. If I play with the PSA or M for the white balance do I need to reset the f number if so how do I do that? You know the book isn't that clear. I have been reading it but it assumes you know everything its talking about. Also I am going to a horse show this weekend, and need to be able to get pics indoors not well lit of horses in an arena about 20 to 30 feet away. Thats the pics I really need to come out decent. What Settings would you suggest, zoom all the way out? Chamge the ISO Number to ? not more than 400? Thats what I have read or the pic gets grainy. I will try to set the white setting. I didn't know about that one, and I sure do appreciate your help. Not much time between now and this weekend, plus I can't really practice because I don't have that same set up here.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:22 AM   #4

Default Oh sorry I was on Auto

I used the auto setting, because I didn't know how to use anything else to take the dog pictures, but the eyes sure didn't show up. You can see them at www.alstaraussies.com under new litters. Its the Aug 2 litter. I sure think this camera should be able to take nicer pics than what I got, and then trying to fix them is not a quick thing to do. I know this camera can take better pictures, I just need to learn how. Plus for our Auxillary Legion we are setting up a photo day for everyone to take pics. They are all of people and will be indoors. Do you suggest under the ceiling lights, or away from the wall a bit? I really will need them to turn out. <sigh> I have high hopes for this camera and I know it all lies on me. Thats why I am asking questions trying to speed up my learning and understanding process.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:33 PM   #5

Okay I am SOOO new to the P90 as well, however I am obsessed about learning it so I have read a whole lot and practiced. Try using the A (aperture priority = F number) mode and remember the smaller the F number the wider the opening, so you get more light in. The A mode let's you set the aperture but the camera sets the shutter for a better exposure. Do not use the flash and use the exposure compensation button to darken or lighten the picture. Also change the F number a couple of times to see what look is best.

I hope this helps.

Amkey
Amkey is offline   Reply With Quote