Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 13, 2003, 8:42 PM   #1

Default coolpix 2500 close up noise

Hello.

I just got a Coolpix 2500. I love it, it's small and te quality is ok BUT!!! when I select the close-up scene it makes a buzzing/zooming noise.

Is it normal? Should I take it to get it fixed/changed?

Thanks
Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:44 AM   #2

Default Re: coolpix 2500 close up noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco
when I select the close-up scene it makes a buzzing/zooming noise. Is it normal? Should I take it to get it fixed/changed?
If the zooming noise sounds like the one you hear when you turn on the camera, it is normal. When you put the camera in the close-up scene mode, the camera positions the lens to somewhere in the middle so that you can focus closer.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:20 PM   #3

Some of the buzzing has to do with compensation for hand shake. It tries to focus as well as it can, but as you move a little, it will constantly re-focus unless you hold the button half-way down when you are focusing on your subject.

Mine only seems to do that to extremes when I point the cam down in close up mode. It does not want to focus correctly when pointed down over an object.

When used horizontally, it will buzz as it focuses, then it settles down.

Best regards

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 6:09 PM   #4

Mine does the same thing, when it is first turned on and when doing a closeup.
When I first got the camera I had thought something was wrong, so I phoned Nikon tech support, they said that noise was normal, it is the lens trying to focus.
You also need to get enough light on the closeup subject, if the camera is so close you block off the light it will not focus and will keep searching for the correct focus point.
Also note, if you are trying to photograph a coin, etc. turn off the flash because the flash will wash out the closeup photo.
I use a desk lamp at an angle to get shots of newspaper or other close shots of very small objects.
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote