Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:50 AM   #1

Default Nikon's new clothespin technology

I thought this was funny:

I wrote to Nikon about the shutter release on the 5700. I need to do long exposures which means holding down the shutter release for a few minutes which is unworkable because of vibration. I can get the remote cable, but that still involves holding the shutter release on the remote which still means propogation of vibration into the camera. I asked Nikon tech support and this was their response (in part):

A clothespin would serve the purpose of keeping the shutter button depressed for long periods of time. I've seen our product testing manager use one with the MC-EU1 to keep a coolpix shooting in continuous mode long enough to fill a large CF card during testing.

The company who would like to be at the forefront of consumer digital technology offers as its only solution to a very obvious problem a clothespin.

That said I am very happy with the 5700 overall, especially for macro shots.

I wrote back to ask if using a third party clothespin would void my warranty or if I have to use Nikon's model but I haven't heard back.
oswaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 8:09 AM   #2

Quote:
I can get the remote cable, but that still involves holding the shutter release on the remote which still means propogation of vibration into the camera
i really don't thing your going to induce vibration down a highly flexible cable. also while your clamping on your clothespin to your shutter release wouldn't that induce vibration too? the whole point of an external shutter release is to remove any physical contact from the camera for just that situation.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:59 AM   #3

The cable shutter release on the 5700 is electronic, and therefore vibration induced by depressing the shutter button on it is negligeable, and should not affect the camera at all. Even the cable shutter release on my F100 is not mechanical anymore, rather electronic in nature. Also, do you secure the 5700 to a sturdy tripod when doing these long exposures?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:15 PM   #4

Default long exposure

Yes, the camera will be mounted very securely on a telescope. The exposures might be up to 5 min. long. I don't think the amount of vibration would be much but it doesn't take much during a 5 min. period to ruin the photo.

Putting the clothespin on will cause some initial vibration, but I will put a hood over the front lens of the telescope for the first ten seconds to let any initial vibration dissipate and then put the hood back over the lens before removing the clothespin.

I have dealt with this issue with a film camera and found that touching a normal cable release even a little during the exposure would propogate to the camera. The cable for Nikon's release is only 80 cm long (about 31 inches). I guess I can tape it to the tripod and use the clothespin so I don't have to touch it much. I'm not clear on why the remote isn't made so that 1 press of the button would open the shutter and another press would close it rather than having to hold the button down for 5 minutes.
oswaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:41 PM   #5

Give credit to the Nikon tech who came up with the clothespin technology. Simple solutions often produce great results.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:13 PM   #6

I found the scrutiny hard to believe, if you have to do a 5 min exposure, then the initial half second shake of the camera means nothing, it does not even gets registered on the ccd. You can even jump up and down for the first 5 seconds and I bet there is still nothing showing....
doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 1:58 PM   #7

A simple fix to the vibration propogation problem would be to tie the center of the cable down with a clamp to an external mount. A small amount of vibration over a short period of time should not show up on a very long exposure anyway.
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 4:46 PM   #8

if this is a tripod mounted telescope you have alot more vib issues to work out then thr shutter release for a 5 minute esposure. is this outside or in a enclosure?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote