Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 15, 2003, 8:45 AM   #1

Default Software drivers

I notice that almost all specifications for Nikon and other digital camera manufacturers indcate their camera(s) are only compatible with Windows ME, XP and all Mac's. Does this mean a Nikon Coolpix 4300 wil not download pics if I only have Win 98 SE on my computer?

If not, does software drivers come with specific camer bundles to make it compatible? Thanks.

Pashue
Pashue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:11 AM   #2

I have Windows 98 SE on my PC.

The drivers work fine, not a problem. The problem is with the Nikon View software. The software transfers pics from the camera to your PC however, when you try to open the program, it aborts.

Nikon CS tells me the software is not compatible with Windows 98 SE UPGRADES (from 95 or 98). You should not have a problem if you have a full installed version of 98SE.

Hope that helps.

Raghav
vanrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:42 AM   #3

I have loaded the drivers to one of my hard drives that runs a full install of Windows 98se. I had no problems with my 5700.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:43 AM   #4

Ok, thanks.

Some other questions, please. I am a Nikon N6006 user with Nikon 35-80 Zoom and Tamron 75-300 Zoom lenses and have an Epson Perfection 1660 flatbed scanner, which I like for both chromes and prints. If you have an opinion, do you think the Nikon Coolpix 4300 would suite my needs as a newbie in digital format? I mostly use manual mode, although am pleased with my N6006's Program modes. I like chaging apertures for particular DOF effects. Do these "scene modes" do justice to these types of exposures, in this price range, of course? I notice apertures only go to f8. (I am excited about seeing exposures on the spot, and its take anywhere abilities, though). Any advise is very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Pashue
Pashue is offline   Reply With Quote