Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:50 PM   #1

Default Question about the P mode of Nikon P90

Hi everyone,

I just bought a P90. This is my first Nikon Camera, and first complex camera (to me). I don't really know how to use this camera rather than using the default setting of Auto and P mode. Here is my first question after played around with it for a couple days:

(User's Manual)
"In P mode, different combination of shutter speed and aperture can be selected by rotating the command dial"

When I tried to change the combination of shutter speed and aperture in the P mode, nothing changed by rotating the dial. The number of shutter speed and aperture were both staying the same, the only thing changed was there was a * next to Letter "P". Why? Does my camera have problem or broken? Thanks!
chuenmasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:57 PM   #2

Mine doesnt change either. Just tried it. I usually just use S-mode or A-mode if I need a specific kind of shot.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuenmasiello View Post
Hi everyone,

I just bought a P90. This is my first Nikon Camera, and first complex camera (to me). I don't really know how to use this camera rather than using the default setting of Auto and P mode. Here is my first question after played around with it for a couple days:

(User's Manual)
"In P mode, different combination of shutter speed and aperture can be selected by rotating the command dial"

When I tried to change the combination of shutter speed and aperture in the P mode, nothing changed by rotating the dial. The number of shutter speed and aperture were both staying the same, the only thing changed was there was a * next to Letter "P". Why? Does my camera have problem or broken? Thanks!
Hi chuenmasiello,

I donít think yours is broken. Mine works. Sometimes you have to really turn the dial a number of clicks after the exposure the camera has picked changes to yellow, before things start to happen.
diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:09 AM   #4
Administrator

Some cameras require you to half press the shutter button to turn on the meter before the command dial will work.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:21 AM   #5

Thank you for all your helps. I will try your suggestions.
chuenmasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:16 PM   #6

Also, be sure to try turning it both ways.

There is no way that manually changing the dial can set any aperture wider than the maximum aperture of the lens or smaller than the minimum. The same goes for the shutter speed. If the default f/stop and shutter speed is setting one of these to either their maximum or minimum then one only one dial direction will work, at least until some change is made.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:26 PM   #7

I am a New P90 user. I am trying to get some action shots for my sons basketball team and trying to get the right settings. I my house I can stop action with out a problem but in the gym more problems. I use the m setting, and try playing with the settings. High iso gives me grainey shots and lower gives me some blurring. The sport mode doesnt seem to stop action either. So any help please.
topshelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:56 AM   #8

topshelf-

The P-90 is not famous for its low light capabilities. Can you show us a photo? Are you using flash? If using flash what is the camera to subject distance? The photo environment that you describe is one in which even DSLR cameras have difficulties with in most cases.

We hope that you have enjoyed a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote