Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:15 AM   #1

Default "Custom White Balance" for Nikon Coolpix P90

Hi All,

I just discovered Nikon P90 has "Custom White Balance Preset" function. However, after I followed the instruction to set my custom white balance, the photos which I took *WITHOUT* flash look good, but all the photos I took *WITH* the flash look blue. Why? Shouldn't I use flash if I was using Preset custom white balance?

I tried to use Flash when I set the "custom white balance", and I couldn't do that, when I was in the white balance Preset mode, the flash always automatically shut off.

It is okay to shot photos without flash under the bring light situation. But when there is no enough light without the flash, the photo looks blurry.

Is there a way to set "custom white balance" with flash enable?

Thank you!
chuenmasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:02 PM   #2

You are confusing several features: WB and ISO.

Let's deal with the WB problem first. The custom white balance did not work for your flash photo because you set the custom WB by analyzing the existing light in the photo environment. When the flash went off it introduced a wholly different lighting element to the photo environment, therefore your custom WB was incorrect as it did not account for the light introduced by the flash. Whenever you us flash you must use a preset WB.

When you are planning NOT to use flash, the level of lighting in the photo environment is going to be lower than normal. Therefore you will need two things, a new custom WB AND probably a numerical increase in the ISO setting.to deal with the much lower than normal level of lighting in the photo environment.

The numerically increased ISO setting will cause visible electronic noise to appear in your photo and it also may not provide a fast enough shutter speed to prevent photo blurring.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 11, 2010 at 8:05 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:56 AM   #3

Thank you so much, Sarah. I will adjust my ISO to test it again.
chuenmasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:54 PM   #4

That sounds like a plan to me.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote