Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 5, 2002, 5:21 AM   #1

Default Camera bag for 5700

I live in the U.K and have been looking for a Nikon 5700 camera bag. Just been told beacause of production problems it will be app 30 days before they are available. Can anybody recommend a third party bag or preferably where I can get hold of a proper Nikon one.
allant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2002, 7:47 AM   #2

Default Coolpix 5700 bag

I found it last satursay in Rome at LA PLACA shop tel 0039068173765 at 50.
aletac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 1:02 AM   #3

yeah they're selling a dedicated bag for 5700, but very simple in black leather .
understandably so due to the unique exterior shape of 5700 .
so disappointing I am currently planning to make one for myself and our user group members . (I'm a former designer)
I have looked around major shops in Japan for bags available for other models .
it is interesting the vacant area in front of the camera grip will hold an extra CF card AND battery !
will keep U informed how it turns out

[Edited on 8-8-2002 by Mango]
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 9:33 AM   #4

thanks,
Im going to Orlando in a couple of weeks, I wonder if any U.S readers Know of any shops in the area that could stock the Nikon 5700 bag
allant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 5:15 AM   #5

while it's going to take some time until I get my custom-made 5700 case finished, I needed something to carry my new jewel . (am currently pacing thru textile markets)
so after extensiF search on on-line malls & makers I've just ordered the following :

1. Tamrac 5696
perfect fit for my 5700 plus extra CF card & battery
2. Tamrac 5698
to carry my 5700 /with/ my Sony PC9 camcorder side-by-side

U can look for a dealer near U at http://www.tamrac.com
but, I still don't like the color & design -_-
Old Aug 9, 2002, 11:58 AM   #6

I would like to see two bags ... a gadget bag and a mor protective tight case.

I am using a new brand of gadget bad that is better designed than a Tamrac .. it is modular with lots of fittings and straps so you can add smaller bags to it.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 10:32 PM   #7

Default LowerPro bag

Today I took my 5700 into a camera store and tried out several different bags. Ended up getting a LowerPro, model D-Res 220AW. It is slightly wider than I needed, but appears to protect very well. It even has a pull out rain flap for extra protection.

I decided not to wait for the Nikon bag. I bought Nikon's 990 bag. Within a few weeks the piece that attaches to a belt started to tear. I was rather cheap plastic, imitating leather. I removed it so my wife could sew on a strong nylon strap from the end of a fanny pack belt. With this modification, it is a great camera bag.

I travel light with my camera, hiking and bicycling. So a bag attached to my belt means that I can slide it to the front for quick access, or slide it to the side or back to get it out of my way. Having an 8X lens means that I don't have to carry an extender lens.

So far, I really like this camera!

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 11:29 PM   #8

gee Steve ..
tell us which bag/maker U have ~
U know how we all want to know about your personal choices
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:19 PM   #9

Default Mrock bags

FWIW ..

this new brand of bag is more modular than most, can use the accesories of most other bags, and is the closest I have seen to an ideal digibag.

Main featrure is a lot of places to add strap on small bags for accessories.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 6:27 PM   #10

When I travel I use a timbuk2 bike messenger bag. http://timbuk2.com/

I have the DeeDog(L) sized bag, padded shoulder strap, and the padded laptop sleeve. I like the messenger bags because they're weather proof and designed to be worn for long periods of time.

Admititly the camera doesn't spend much time in the bag. Most of the time its lashed to my right hand with a home made wrist strap. When I need my hand for something I let the camera dangle.

My big problem with a professional camera bag is that they look like professional camera bags. Folks don't buy expensive bags for cheap cameras so my fear is that the bag is a beacon to a theif.

Because the bag is padded you probably won't feel the pickpocket rifling around stealing your gear.

Because I carry my camera it tends to take quite a beating. My coolpix 950 is about to get sent to Nikon to repair the battery door. The door still latches but barely and it has been known to pop open on occasion. Despite being beat up it still takes beautiful pictures.

I picked up the "carry the camera" habit in high school on the yearbook staff. Later in college going after my photography degree one of my professors refered to bags as "never-ready bags" because most of the time the good photo oppurtunity has evaporated by the time you've been able to dig the camera out of the bag.

My wife hates it when I carry the camera. I told her... "You shouldn't have married a photographer" and I carry it anyway.

When I do put the camera in the timbuk2 bag it goes in the inside velcro middle pocket. On the back its padded by the laptop sleeve. On the sides its padded by cords and ethernet cable and on the front side its padded by airline tickets, maps, and a small photo album. I've never sustained any camera damage in this bag and it doesn't look like a camera bag.

A good bag is very very important to a bike messenger. It must protect its cargo and be easy to access at the same time. It must be durable and well built. Timbuk2 has refined the design over the years. These bags are incredible. I learned about them in London on month long assignment photographing pubs. I figured a bicycle was a good way to cover a lot of ground and it worked out nicely First day there I met some couriers and they turned me on to the messenger bag. (also great laptop bags because... they don't look like laptop bags)

Jon
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote