Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:29 PM   #1

Default How I feel about my p90

It's been a LONG while since I have been here. I have had my p90 for 7 or 8 months now? still loving it. Still finding limitations. And I am wanting a SLR badly! As a former graphic artist, I don't believe in the word "photoshop" being a bad thing, so sometimes i will do post processing beyond crop and minor adustments. And some pictures have major photoshopping to them because either it was to create a certain effect, or just because its the only way to turn a hum drum pic into something better. Either way i am still loving my p90. Here is what i feel about it.

No pp (besides crop) and i liked it

No PP (besides crop) Great DoF. Was just asked permission by my states travel bureau to have this used at a governors conference.

Minor color adjustments and crop. This was used in a calender for this year for midwest magazine.

No pp beyond crop, and really just putting it here cuz my son cracks me up when he does stuff like this. Great zoom on this. He was pretty far out there.

some indoor shots can be ok with the lighting...

But others not so much:

The only way to get the flux capactor in the Delorean to work was with a flash

night time with flash in the summer

daytime in sunlight in the winter (see the snow)
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:30 PM   #2

I still cant seem to get action shots no matter what settings i use

Some are better then others, especially on that setting with the little runner, but i havent gotten a good one yet

This i obviously used a texture on, but the natural lighting worked well with it. however it was hard to get the little green focus box to work at this range

indoor use with a flash tends to be tricky unless you post process it. this one was not pp

Colors can be pretty bright in the sun

but some not so much. I had to do major pp on each the girl and the elephant so you are able to see they are both in the picture

This just cracks me up. its a hum drum pic. didnt bother trying to do anything. but it shows how perspective can totally change the picture and you might not capture it with your human eye. it wasnt until i snaped this picture and saw it on my viewscreen that my son looks minature to his friend. not just cuz hes sitting on a little chair. his body looks tiny. they are the exact same size.

This was a perspective that i saw at random while lying in my bed, and i glanced up and saw these cups on my headboard. the quote i found is perfect for this. the pp i did to this was crop it and then add the quote/frame

having the right exposure or creative lighting (like in this one) can make a indoor shot be pretty ok

here was a indoor picture with a flash that i loved his expression. but i didnt like the harsh light of the flash, so I did a lot of photoshop work and filters to get it to be dark and somehwat grungy. like something off a CW TV show promo
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:31 PM   #3

and heres another example of a picture that was blah. but instead of putting in the recycle can, i photoshopped the heck out of it and it became pretty mystical

And of course, by far one of the best things of this camera is the ability to get up and peresonal with the moon, even if you dont have a tripod

So overall i am happy, and i have a lot to learn, but sometimes i wonder if a slr would be easier. (and yes, harder with other things)
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:41 PM   #4

oh one last thing.. i like playing with HDR photos. Athough this is another situation where i wonder if a slr would be easier
Old Feb 6, 2010, 2:07 PM   #5

icebluess-

Very well done. That is a very nice portfolio. Your photoshopping skills are wonderful. Thanks for Posting. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 12:17 AM   #6

There are no words in my dictionary to describe these magnificent photos. These are one of the most beautiful collection among that I have ever had a look at. I loved it. This is indeed an inspirational one from my perspective.

darrensmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:00 PM   #7

Very nice photos, i have a couple Questions on what setting you ma have used to make the background blurry in some of your photos.

and how you got such a nice photo of the moon.

I'm sorta new to taking photos and don't know much about the settings, if you could please help me that'd be awesome!
misskay24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskay24 View Post
Very nice photos, i have a couple Questions on what setting you ma have used to make the background blurry in some of your photos.

and how you got such a nice photo of the moon.

I'm sorta new to taking photos and don't know much about the settings, if you could please help me that'd be awesome!
Icebluess, nice work with that camera... you know how to use it. Proof that it is a good camera in the right hands.

Misskay, I explained in another post on getting a good moonshot. Here are some techniques to use that will help increase the background blur:

First use A = Aperture Priority.

Limit the depth of field:

Use a long focal length lens.

Use a large aperture (small f-number.)

Position the subject and background to use the depth of field effectively:

Separate the subject from the background as much as possible. Try shooting from a position such that the background is far from the subject.

Focus in front of the subject to move the subject of the photo to the far end of the depth of field.

Is that YOU in the blue dress on the couch in one of the other posts? SEXY!
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Icebluess, nice work with that camera... you know how to use it. Proof that it is a good camera in the right hands.

Misskay, I explained in another post on getting a good moonshot. Here are some techniques to use that will help increase the background blur:

First use A = Aperture Priority.

Limit the depth of field:

Use a long focal length lens.

Use a large aperture (small f-number.)

Position the subject and background to use the depth of field effectively:

Separate the subject from the background as much as possible. Try shooting from a position such that the background is far from the subject.

Focus in front of the subject to move the subject of the photo to the far end of the depth of field.

Is that YOU in the blue dress on the couch in one of the other posts? SEXY!
alright thank you for the help!
and yes that's me, thanks!
misskay24 is offline   Reply With Quote