Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:34 AM   #1

Default Suggest SDHC for my new Nikon P90 - Sandisk UltraII 8 GB or Sandisk ExtremeIII 4 GB ?

Hello Everyone ..

I purchased a Nikon P90 from Amazon for $320. I bought only the cam and now i have to buy a SDHC .. but i am really confused whether to go for Speed or Capacity.

After a lot of r-n-d i have shortlisted two items ....... Sandisk Extreme III 4 Gb and Sandisk Ultra II 8 Gb.

Those who have used both types please comment on how the speeds will vary while shooting? I am aware that Ultra II is Class 4 (15Mbps) and Extreme III is Class 6 (20Mbps) .. but in real life, in a cam like P90 how much difference will it make? I am not worried much about the transfer speed from the cam to PC/Laptop but from the sensor to the card, while shooting in Burst Mode and normal shots.

The following link ... http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9254&sort_col=card&sort_dir=ASC
... demands Ultra II 8 GB having half the speed than Extreme III 4 GB in case of a Nikon D300 (tho D300 is a cam of a totally different type .. but just for a comparison) . Is it so in real life ?

My personal choice is Extreme III 4 Gigs as i feel for a beginner like me, 4Gb wud be enuf capacity at a time.

Please help ASAP ..

Thanks
Ravo
friendsourav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Administrator

That's not even the same card type (the D300 uses CompactFlash cards). ;-)

The D300 is also a much faster camera compared to your P90.

Chances are, your camera's speed is going to be the bottleneck, and you'll see diminishing returns with faster cards (IOW, you may buy a card that's twice as fast and only see a small improvement in performance, once you reach a certain speed card). But, without tests comparing multiple cards in a P90, it's tough to say what might work best in it.

If you want to err on the side of caution and go with a faster card, I'd get one of the newer Class 10 SDHC cards from a major manufacturer. But, chances are, you'll see little to no speed difference compared to many Class 6 SDHC cards in most consumer level cameras.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:55 AM   #3

Thanks Jim for your xplanation .. my mistake i did not check which card type the D300 uses.

anyhow, i donot wanna go for any higher class SDHC's ... Class 6 is maximum for me .. and i understand without actual testing its tough to suggest .. but please advice between the 2 specific cards i mentioned which one shud i go for ??

thanks
Ravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That's not even the same card type (the D300 uses CompactFlash cards). ;-)

The D300 is also a much faster camera compared to your P90.

Chances are, your camera's speed is going to be the bottleneck, and you'll see diminishing returns with faster cards (IOW, you may buy a card that's twice as fast and only see a small improvement in performance, once you reach a certain speed card). But, without tests comparing multiple cards in a P90, it's tough to say what might work best in it.

If you want to err on the side of caution and go with a faster card, I'd get one of the newer Class 10 SDHC cards from a major manufacturer. But, chances are, you'll see little to no speed difference compared to many Class 6 SDHC cards in most consumer level cameras.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsourav View Post
anyhow, i donot wanna go for any higher class SDHC's ... Class 6 is maximum for me .. and i understand without actual testing its tough to suggest .. but please advice between the 2 specific cards i mentioned which one shud i go for ??
That's the problem (without testing both, there's no way to know). Also, when a given card was manufactured can impact how fast it is (i.e., not all Extreme III cards are the same, and not all Ultra II Cards are the same).

For example, some of the Ultra II cards may test closer to 15MB/Second, and some of the Extreme III cards are closer to 30MB/Second (but, older versions of these cards may not be as fast).

Do the specific cards you're looking at have a Class rating? As a general rule, most of the time, a Sandisk card with a Class 4 rating will work OK in most point and shoot cameras when doing things like capturing video. But, you'd have to test a specific card in a specific camera model to make sure. Still photos don't make as much difference (as you'll just get fewer photos in a burst with a slower buffer full burst rate after the camera's faster internal memory fills up). But, with video, a card that's too slow can impact the length of your video recordings (sometimes causing errors if the camera can't write fast enough to a card after it's internal buffer fills up). It doesn't look like that camera model has HD video (it appears to offer lower resolution video only), so I doubt it would be an issue with an Ultra II.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 1:54 PM   #5

Quote:
That's the problem (without testing both, there's no way to know). Also, when a given card was manufactured can impact how fast it is (i.e., not all Extreme III cards are the same, and not all Ultra II Cards are the same).

For example, some of the Ultra II cards may test closer to 15MB/Second, and some of the Extreme III cards are closer to 30MB/Second (but, older versions of these cards may not be as fast).

Do the specific cards you're looking at have a Class rating? As a general rule, most of the time, a Sandisk card with a Class 4 rating will work OK in most point and shoot cameras when doing things like capturing video. But, you'd have to test a specific card in a specific camera model to make sure. Still photos don't make as much difference (as you'll just get fewer photos in a burst with a slower buffer full burst rate after the camera's faster internal memory fills up). But, with video, a card that's too slow can impact the length of your video recordings (sometimes causing errors if the camera can't write fast enough to a card after it's internal buffer fills up). It doesn't look like that camera model has HD video (it appears to offer lower resolution video only), so I doubt it would be an issue with an Ultra II.
Yes Jim ... the cards i am looking at do have a Class rating ... as i mentioned in the opening post .. the Ultra II 4 Gigs is a Class 4(15Mb/sec) one and the Extreme III 4 Gigs is a Class 6(20Mb/sec) one ... atleast thats what the images and the descriptions say (in amazon.com) .. if u wish i could attach the links of both the products. I guess you would anytime understand better than me !!

thanks ..
Ravo
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:22 PM   #6
Administrator

The newer Sandisk Ultra II Cards are faster, and the Class 4 cards that advertise 15MB/Second (printed on the cards) will probably be just fine in your camera.

But, older Ultra II cards are not as fast. So, if you're not buying one from Amazon showing that in the listing, then don't assume that any other Ultra II card has the same specs. ;-)

Also, Sandisk cards are the most counterfeited cards around (*lots* of fakes are out there, sometimes unknown to the dealers selling them, since some dealers are not getting theirs from authorized Sandisk distributors). So, make sure you buy one from a reputable vendor.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:09 AM   #7

Quote:
The newer Sandisk Ultra II Cards are faster, and the Class 4 cards that advertise 15MB/Second (printed on the cards) will probably be just fine in your camera.

But, older Ultra II cards are not as fast. So, if you're not buying one from Amazon showing that in the listing, then don't assume that any other Ultra II card has the same specs. ;-)

Also, Sandisk cards are the most counterfeited cards around (*lots* of fakes are out there, sometimes unknown to the dealers selling them, since some dealers are not getting theirs from authorized Sandisk distributors). So, make sure you buy one from a reputable vendor.

Aai aai captain .. gotcha ! will keep that in mind. but anyhow i'd most probably be buying one from amazon .. and i'll choose a featured merchant only .. so i guess that wont be a counterfeited one !!

just one last query Jim .. is it possible that the capacity of a card can tweak the speed ? what i mean is .. is it possible that a 8 Gb Ultra II is slower than a 4 Gb Ultra II ?

Ravo ..
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:25 AM   #8
Administrator

You sometimes see speed differences between different cards of the same model with different sizes. Sometimes a larger card is faster, and sometimes the opposite is the case. I wouldn't worry about that part.

As for buying from a Featured Merchant, I'd probably stick to buying directly from amazon.com. For example, Sandisk doesn't make a Sandisk 4GB Extreme IV Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo card (they only offer their Ultra and Extreme III cards if you want MS Pro-HG Duo, and those are 30MB/Second cards in their MS Pro Duo-HG offeringss). Yet, here's an Extreme IV MS Pro-HG Duo card claiming 40MB/Second from an amazon merchant (even though Sandisk doesn't make a card like this):

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Extrem.../dp/B002609TZY

I reported it to Sandisk. But, the listing remains. That one was more obvious (since it's a card type that Sandisk doesn't make). But, for card types they do make, it can be very hard to spot fakes.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:33 AM   #9

Quote:
You sometimes see speed differences between different cards of the same model with different sizes. Sometimes a larger card is faster, and sometimes the opposite is the case. I wouldn't worry about that part.

As for buying from a Featured Merchant, I'd probably stick to buying directly from amazon.com. For example, Sandisk doesn't make a Sandisk 4GB Extreme IV Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo card (they only offer their Ultra and Extreme III cards if you want MS Pro-HG Duo, and those are 30MB/Second cards. Yet, here one is from an amazon merchant (even though Sandisk doesn't make a card like this):

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Extrem.../dp/B002609TZY

I reported it to Sandisk. But, the listing remains. That one was more obvious (since it's a card type that Sandisk doesn't make). But, for card types they do make, it can be very hard to spot fakes.

That's bad man ! it doesnt even look original ! how does a site like amazon allow this !

i was looking at these products .. tell me what u think ..

Extreme III 4 Gb (Retail Pack)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OFWJO6/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Ultra II 8 GB (Retail Pack)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DPLY00/sr=1-2/qid=1264676373/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1264676373 &sr=1-2&seller=

Thanks
Ravo
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:27 AM   #10
Administrator

Well... personally, I'd only buy one directly from Amazon, not one of it's vendors. I see notes like fulfilled by amazon. But, I'd still prefer going directly to amazon instead for something like a Sandisk card.

I'd probably go with the larger card in your camera if choosing between them.