Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:04 PM   #1

Default Question about buying a new Nikon

Right now, I have a Nikon D70. Will be replacing it soon (hopefully) and giving it to a friend. I like the larger frame of it. (Larger in comparison to D40). With that in mind, which ones of the newer Nikons have the larger frame.
ttrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:27 PM   #2

By "larger frame" I'm guessing you mean body size as D40 through D300s, including the D70, all use the same "crop frame" DX size, it is not until you get to the D700 and higher that you have "full frame" (35mm size). When I bought my D40, I strongly considered the D70 as it was on closeout and a nice discount with the introduction of the D80 it's replacement. That has further evolved to the D90 which would be close to the same physical size - but significantly enhanced features. That would probably be the best direct replacement.

Models below it - D3000 and D5000 are close to the D40 physical size. The model above the D90, D300s, is a helofa camera, larger still but perhaps overkill based on the question asked.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:30 PM   #3

The D90 is an excellent camera. It would be my choice for a camera under 1200 dollars form nikon. What lenses do you have for your D70? The D90 has a metal body, the Dxxxx are plastic bodies.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 10, 2010 at 8:34 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:14 PM   #4

I have the stock 18 - 55mm lens, a telephoto lens and a lens that I use for closer up...none of them on the pricy end of the scale.

When I read that this time, I realized what frame usually met even before I read the comment below it...thanks for figuring that out and still answering the question!!

Then I will be getting the D90. Thank you!!
ttrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:18 PM   #5

Since you have the lens already, and if it is the VR lens, I would fore for the standard kit, and get the body only. Or a kit with a different zoom lens. No reason to have get the same lens.