Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 4, 2010, 9:37 PM   #11

Not bad for the p100, a little heavy on NR is the darker parts of the shot, but very nice.
Old May 10, 2010, 4:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
yes the bird one was not as good, but could be due to my inexperience, lol
but for zoomed at 26x, and using just auto-mode, I think it was pretty decent.
I considered the Nikon P-100, mainly due to it's high speed burst and other features,..... but bought the FZ-35, mainly for video. My son bought the P-100. He thinks it is amazing in many ways. He especially likes the sports mode.

Heavy cropping etc is something most of us don't do. I think you have a fun camera that you will be very happy with. That's the name of the game, isn't it?
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 1:51 PM   #13

Default p100

the P100 is great, love the burst mode got 25 pics of a pitcher pitching from start to finish with no blur. REAL easy to use, i still need some time with it as its my first week. im no pro and fact is last camera i had was a polaroid instant. would recommend this p100 to anyone.
folgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 9:32 AM   #14

I recently purchased P100, and I am very dissapointed...
-poor focus
-severe chromatic aberations
-severe overexposure
After blaming my self for a not very short time, I realized that this is just the camera's fault. In my opinion, for my needs and for my critical eye, I consider this a very low quality camera. For this reason I am going to buy, probably, the pany fz38, and then try to sell Nikon P100, even loosing a (small?) amount of money.
I feel sorry to say all that for Nikon, but I feel sorry for my wallet, as well...
I'd love to listen to other people's opinion.
alexander

p.s. Off course I can fix all these problems, in photoshop! But this is not what I would call 'photogrphy'!
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 6:49 AM   #15

I have bought not one but TWO Nikon Coolpix P100 camera's in the last month and both are DEFECTIVE lemons.
The first one i bought it completely froze 7-8 times in two weeks. This happened while using the zoom in Macro mode. The image was completely blurred out and none of the functions would work at all...not even the ON/OFF button and the ONLY way i could get the camera to work again was to remove the battery pack and reinstall it..then it worked fine again until it happened again. It also gave me quite a few LENS CAP ERROR messages even though the lense cap was NOT on the camera at all...removal of the battery pack was the only way to turn it off.

I returned it to the seller in Stratford,Ontario for a refund.

I bought another P100 this past week and AGAIN identical problems except that this time i wasn't even in macro mode. I was just using the auto mode and while using the super zoom...completely froze and i had to remove the battery pack just to turn it off.
Then i got a lense cap error message and you guessed it...the lense cap was not on at all.

Both of these cameras were NEW not refurbished or gray market and came with the 2 year Canadian Nikon Warranty. Both were bought from ebay sellers in Stratford Ontario who have excellent feedback.
I'm fighting with the 2nd seller to get a refund and return this JUNK.

Very disappointed in Nikon and i will never buy another...

Michael
In Quebec,Canada
Mike6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:29 AM   #16

...and what do you think about photo quality, Mike6969? (if ...you had the chance to take any shot!)
a.p.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:59 PM   #17

So far I like the image quality apart for it can't render dark red/burgundy. I get a lighter red that is wrong. I had the same problem with my old Olympus C 765.
fruhulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:14 AM   #18

Yes as an ebay seller myself,i've taken hundreds of pics and the image quality depends on alot of things and which setting ect...
Using the zoom,the images were not bad at times but also often blurred or out of focus. The macro mode is a big let-down because my 7 year old Sony Mavica FD-75 was even better for close-ups

I have found other posts on google where other people also had similar bad experiences while using the zoom.
Lens cap error messages even though there was no lense cap on and the camera goes haywire and will not work until you remove the battery and re-install it.
I think Nikon should have tested these alot more before putting them on the market..

Can anyone suggest a better super zoom camera..?? I know the Panasonic LUMIX DMC FZ35K 12.1MP DIGITAL CAMERA is supposed to be excellent and one of the best in this catagory but the 18x zoom doesn't really attract me as much so what are some of the others?
What about the Fuji Finepix HS10 10.0MP Digital Camera 30X ZOOM HD ??

I use it mostly both ebay and personal use.

Any advice would be appreciated

Michael
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:18 AM   #19

As an ebay seller...i use my Nikon P100 probably alot more than the average user so that's probably why i found the defects on the first days of using it.
I think more people will notice these flaws after they have been on the market longer..
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruhulda View Post
So far I like the image quality apart for it can't render dark red/burgundy. I get a lighter red that is wrong.
...and a greener blue, that is wrong... a greyer yellow, that is wrong... a magenda brown, that is wrong...
I sold my Nikon p100 (at a lower price of course), bought an fz38, so now, at least colours are accurate. Natural. And I have the fun to concentrate in composition, not worrying about wrong colours.
alexander