Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:42 AM   #21

I think i'll go with this Fuji Finepix HS10 10.0MP Digital Camera 30X ZOOM HD as soon as i can get refunded on my 2nd defective Nikon P100.
Mike6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:03 AM   #22

It was one of my favorites, but comparing to fz38, Fuji is
-heavier and bulkier
-more expensive.
But on the other hand:
-3" lcd
-a bit wider lens and 30X
-new model
at least these are my "pros and cons"
a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:20 PM   #23

Default Ouch not what i expected in either

Those are the exact two i'm looking at right and trying hard to decide but both have a negative side for my needs...

The PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FZ35K has a fixed LCD and does not tilt or move at all.... I really liked that feature on the P100

The Fuji Finepix HS10 10.0MP has a MANUAL ZOOM which really sucks since i hold alot of smaller items in my hand when i take pics for the things i sell on ebay and i like being able to zoom in while holding the camera with one hand so this would be a really big drawback....darn

What to do...which one
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6969 View Post
Those are the exact two i'm looking at right and trying hard to decide but both have a negative side for my needs...

The PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FZ35K has a fixed LCD and does not tilt or move at all.... I really liked that feature on the P100

The Fuji Finepix HS10 10.0MP has a MANUAL ZOOM which really sucks since i hold alot of smaller items in my hand when i take pics for the things i sell on ebay and i like being able to zoom in while holding the camera with one hand so this would be a really big drawback....darn

What to do...which one
I was in the same confusion, some time ago. Try to think which is the 'problem' that you can not live with, and the opposite. Give a grade for each of them. For example, for me, not having a tilting 3" lcd was realy a drawback, but on the other hand fz38 is smaller and portable. Etc... I believe that if image quality is the question, they are mostly equal. What all you guys believe?
a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:47 PM   #25

From all sample they are pretty much equal in IQ
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:19 PM   #26

Mike,

If you can swing it financially, buy both at the same time so you can see which camera is a better fit for you and your needs. For me, even after a bunch of research I still wasn't sure which one to buy. Also. there were no camera stores within 100 miles of me so I could try them.

I ordered the HS10 and FZ35 from a vendor with a no hassle return policy, and had them together for three weeks. Then I made my decision and returned the one that wasn't a fit for me.

Just a thought.

Laurie

PS: I miss my Nikon Coolpix 2500. I loved the macro feature on that camera!

Last edited by laurel99; Jun 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM.
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel99 View Post
Mike,

If you can swing it financially, buy both at the same time so you can see which camera is a better fit for you and your needs. For me, even after a bunch of research I still wasn't sure which one to buy. Also. there were no camera stores within 100 miles of me so I could try them.

I ordered the HS10 and FZ35 from a vendor with a no hassle return policy, and had them together for three weeks. Then I made my decision and returned the one that wasn't a fit for me.

Just a thought.

Laurie

PS: I miss my Nikon Coolpix 2500. I loved the macro feature on that camera!
Ouuffff i wish i could afford both but as it is i have to wait for the refund through Paypal for my 2nd defective Nikon P100 so that's definately out of the question.
I live in a very remote area on the Gaspe coast here in Quebec so choice here in stores is very limited not to mention pressure sales when you do shop localy here so i prefer buying from the internet.
I really wish Nikon had lived up to their name on the Coolpix P100 because it had everything i wanted and more BUT they are definately lemons because two with the same problems..plus this 2nd one the lense seems shky and loose meaning you can hear it rattle. I seen someone else also noted the same problems so i'm not the only one.

Decisions...decisions...lol

Michael
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:05 AM   #28

The Fuiji HS10 is selling like wildfire on Ebay canada i noticed! Ever single one i put on my watching list sells in no time so these seem very hot right now where there are always lots of the Panny Z38'S available...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Dustin-

I agree 100% with your analysis of the Nikon P-100. Those very same faults were evident with the P-90 model as well. Yes, It would be grand if noise was not such a persistent issue particularly in shots where any ISO setting ir raised above the base ISO.

My personal super zoom choice remains the Panasonic FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

I was following Jack55's thread on the Nikon P-90 and notice that you quite like the P-90. I noted that you returned the Nikon P-100 because of noise. What I wanted to know from you is is the P-100 inferior to it's predecessors the P-90 and P-80?

I do own a P-100 and am not too satisfy with it.
leongz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:45 AM   #30

leongz5-

The Nikon P-80, P-90 were subject to substantial noise problems at anything above the ISO 400 setting. The P-100 is even worse. I returned the P-100, and sold off the P-80 and P-90.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote