Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Default Nikon coolpix7600-memory card problem

I saw a few threads on this but still cannot solve my problem.

I bought this used last week private sale.
There was no memory card installed or accessories.

I put new batteries in and all the functions worked.
I took some photos to try it and the message came that memory full and no card etc.
I deleted all the stored images.

I then bought a new SD card.It is a Texet 2gb.

When I tried in camera message came up-this card cannot be used.The camera will not now perform any functions-but still powers on and off lens comes out and goes back etc.

I then had look on the internet and saw a number of things to check.

I formatted the card using a card reader via usb to PC.
still no joy.

On removing the card I noticed that the error message is still displayed even with no card present.

The message fails to go off.

In the camera memory I tried to reset all.
Still no change.

I see the format card in the menu-but when I try to scroll to it -it jumps past it.

on checking firnware version it says E7600 Ver1.0

I have seen reports of only certain SD cards being compatible-yet one report I saw told of them trying even approved cards with no change.

Has anyone any ideas ?

Thanks
martin2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Administrator

If you formatted the card in a card reader using Windows, it probably used FAT32 as the file system by default. Your camera is not going to work with FAT32.

Try reformatting it using a card reader. But, change the file system to FAT (not FAT32) using the pull down list of file systems you'll see in one of the format steps. Make sure to safely remove it when done (right click on the card's icon under "My Computer" and select the Eject choice), so that any cached writes are flushed to it.

Then, see if you can format it via the camera's menu choice for format.

If not, then it may not work with a 2GB card size. Some devices (cameras, card readers, etc.) are limited to a maximum size of 1GB with Secure Digital cards, since 1GB was the maximum size allowed under the original SD 1.0 specification.

Although the later 1.1 spec allowed for larger SD (not SDHC Cards, which weren't introduced until later via the SD 2.0 spec), many devices only support a block length of 512 bytes with SD cards, limiting the max size supported to 1GB.

Keep in mind that the Coolpix 7600 was launched in 2005, before larger cards were being made. So, it doesn't support SDHC cards, and it won't work with a FAT32 file system (and may even have issues with SD cards larger than 1GB if it can't work with a larger than 512 byte block size).

But, I'd try formatting it as FAT using Windows as a first step, as it might work with a 2GB card (you'll have to try it to find out) if you have the correct file system on it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

If it still won't work after formatting it as FAT versus FAT32, try reformatting it using this software (it will work with non Panasonic SD cards). You'll see a download link at the bottom of the page:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...rmatter20.html

If it still doesn't work, your camera is probably not compatible with SD cards larger than 1GB (a common problem with devices introduced before newer Secure Digital card specifications allowed for larger cards).
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:06 PM   #4

Thanks I will try.
Yes Jim it was formatted using FAT 32.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:09 PM   #5
Administrator

It definitely won't work that way (it doesn't support FAT32). But, it might work if you use the FAT choice (which would format a 2GB card using FAT16). You'll have to try it to find out (since some devices will not work with cards larger than 1GB because they were not designed to handle block sizes larger than 512 bytes).
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:04 AM   #6

Well unfortunately,I tried the panasonic formatting.
It did not work.
Today I bought a new SD card with 1GB which was not so easy to find.
Again no luck even after formatting.
I am at a loss to think what to do.
I have put batteries on charge again thinking maybe they have discharged a bit due to all attempts in fixing the problem.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Administrator

That doesn't sound good. I'd format it as FAT versus FAT32 using Windows and see if that solves it, in case the Panasonic Formatter saw it already formatted as FAT32 and kept the same file system type for some reason (although I'd expect a 1GB SD card from a major vendor to come preformatted using FAT16 instead, perhaps some vendors are approaching it differently now that most newer camera models support FAT32).

I'd try removing and reinserting the card a few times to help clean the contacts in it via friction. You could have some oxidation on the contacts causing an issue (hopefully, that's the only problem versus a component failure of some type).
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:23 PM   #8

Again many thanks Jim -will try these things.
I am not really techo as regards this formatting-what is the procedure for trying windows ?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:32 PM   #9
Administrator

Use your card reader and "right click" on the icon you'll find for the card under "My Computer" and you should see a Format choice. Use it, and one of the steps will have a drop down menu for file system. Just use the drop down list you'll see to select FAT (not FAT32) as the file system type before continuing, using the defaults for everything else (cluster size, etc.) before letting it format the card.

If that doesn't work, you may need to try using Windows Disk management instead, deleting any partitions that could be on the card first. What Windows version (XP, Vista, Win 7, etc.) are you using (or what other operating system are you using if you're not using Windows)?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:46 PM   #10

Firefox