Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 8, 2003, 4:18 AM   #1
BK

Default Nikon Coolpix 5400

I am considering purchasing a Nikon Coolpix 5400. Are there any known problems with this camera? My other choice would be Canon. Which model of Canon"s line would be similar to the 5400? Thanks
BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:38 AM   #2

I've read about issues with the autofocus in low-light conditions using the coolpix 5400. You can read more about this in the Dpreview.com user reviews.

The Canon G5 seems to be the equivalent of the 5400, and is slightly cheaper. I'm also hesitating between these two.
jacquesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 1:19 PM   #3

I have the 5400 and have not had any real issues with its focusing ability. It cannot easily achieve focus in very low light as it dosen't have a focus assist light like most of the other cameras.
I find I rarely try to take pictures in the dark, and it has not had trouble focusing on outdoor christmas lights.

I do find the operation to be slugish, but that is common for the P&S digital cameras. I guess I can't compare them to my old 35mm's which could go through a 36 exposure roll in 5 seconds.

All in all I am quite happy with the camera.

The Canon equivelant would be the G5.
Also consider the Sony v1, if you really need low light focusing capability. It has the same CCD as the nikon 5400 but they have added some real nice infrared holographic focusing aids.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:11 AM   #4

Hey PeterP,

I would like to know if you've done any printing of your pics, and do you notice a difference between shots taken in tiff or hi jpeg?

Thanks!
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:03 PM   #5

Answer is yes and no
Yes I did, and no I could see no difference.

I print out on superB paper(13*19) on an epson 2200.
My normal workflow is to import the jpg into photoshop,
adjust levels & curves and convert it to lab, then apply unsharp to the L channel and gausian blur to the a/b channels then convert back to rgb. I have shut off the in camera sharpening feature.

The tiff files are HUGE,(16megs) compared to the jpgs at about 2 megs( I get 202 images to a 512meg cf card) and take forever to save with no noticable difference in quality that I could see.

I am wating seemingly forever for nikon to upgrade the firmware on the 5400 so it can save to RAW/nef format.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:29 AM   #6

Thanks a bunch PeterP,

tried what you said with great results!
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 1:03 AM   #7
BK

Default Coolpix 5400

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. I seem to have come a complete circle. After comparing downloaded sample images. I'll be purchasing the 5400 after all this researching. Thanks for all the info. This sure is a great site to spend hours in. I'll have to wait for serious price drops to buy what I expect to end up with, Kodak's 1.0 focal length extension factor....bk
BK is offline   Reply With Quote