Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 9, 2003, 2:39 PM   #1

Default Night Pictures with 5700: Tips wanted

Tonight, I am going to the top floor of my office building to get some shots of the Atlanta Skyline. Last night I saw it and thought it would be a great shot.

So as not to mess it up, I thought I would see if I can get some tips about the best settings for such a shot.

I plan on using the slow sync flash setting or no flash....what else would work better.

Any advice ?.

Vanrags
vanrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2003, 3:46 PM   #2

Here is a few advices for you...

1. go up there - just before the dark falls. This way you will get a wonderful sky too.

2. use an aperture around 8 (CP5700 optics is great at 8) and stop down to EV -1 - just to eliminate highlights. You then have to brighten up the shots a bit back home.

3. tripod is very important and also use the selftimer to avoid shakes.

4. Try and shoot in RAW (if available) . The change of whitebalance can produce fantastic results. Otherwise take some shots with differende whitebalance.

5.show some shots in the photoforum here at Steves.

Good luck.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:18 AM   #3

Klaus,

Thanks for your tips.

Here are some pictures with reduced resolution. Please let me know what you think....

> http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/s...php?ppuser=934

V
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:35 AM   #4

Vanrags!

You shots are very different in quality. But I must say - you're a fast learner if you did know anything about nightshots before these were taken.

I especially like your shots with the natural lights. You know, most people present nightshots with the orange cast. Very ordinary -unless you have a very nice object to shoot. You seems to have used my little advice with the whitebalance...?

Some of your shots seems to be unsharp others are sharp. You have done very good IMO.

Good work!!!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks a lot Klaus,

Yes I did take your advice and got them in different (Auto, Cloudy & Flouroscent) white balance. This was my second attempt at night photography, the first one was a disaster because I had forgotten my tripod at home!!!!!!

I agree with you when you say the pictures should have been sharper. I am trying to figure out which setting I missed that caused that.

Thanks for your advice and your tips !!!!

VanRags