Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:43 PM   #1

Default Need help to blur background with Nikon coolpix p90

I have it set on Aperture mode but I can't get it to stay at a low number when I zoom. Is there a way on this camera to do this. If not how do I get the object in focus and the background blurred. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
mcjurys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2010, 7:15 PM   #2

The P90 doesn't have a fixed aperture lens, so on Aperture mode, it will change from a minimum of F2.8 at the short end to F5.0 at teh long end.

If you want to blur the background with that lens, you will need to be close to your subject, to maximize the difference in distance between the subject and the background.

Or even more effective is to zoom out to more than say 10x, with the subject relatively close.

Last edited by dnas; Jun 21, 2010 at 7:18 PM.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
The P90 doesn't have a fixed aperture lens, so on Aperture mode, it will change from a minimum of F2.8 at the short end to F5.0 at teh long end.

If you want to blur the background with that lens, you will need to be close to your subject, to maximize the difference in distance between the subject and the background.

Or even more effective is to zoom out to more than say 10x, with the subject relatively close.

Thank you! That stinks that you have to get right up in their face. That was what I was afraid of.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjurys View Post
Thank you! That stinks that you have to get right up in their face. That was what I was afraid of.
But you don't have to.

As I mentioned, use the zoom to your advantage.

e.g. If you want the in focus face, out of focus background,you could:

1. Use the zoom at 2x, and stand about 1m (3') from the subject.
2. Use the zoom at 8x, and stand about 3m (10') from the subject.
3. Use the zoom at 20x, and stand about 10m (30') from the subject.

etc.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 2:41 AM   #5

I agree with dnas ... alternatively you can also do post processing with photoshop, depending how well you composed your snap you can get a fantastic blur effect ... it is quite simple you can do it in under 3 minutes in Photo Shop. If you go to youtube you will find dozens of videos on how to blur background in photoshop, here is one for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmN5cHBfOLw&feature=related (I am sure there will be other tutorials, on youtube, which are better than this one ... check it out).
Having said, photoshop is an expensive software ... it might be cheaper to get an entry level DSLR with a 50mm f/1.8 lens from any of the leading DSLR manufacturers and get superb portraits with great background blur.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienz View Post
I agree with dnas ... alternatively you can also do post processing with photoshop, depending how well you composed your snap you can get a fantastic blur effect ... it is quite simple you can do it in under 3 minutes in Photo Shop. If you go to youtube you will find dozens of videos on how to blur background in photoshop, here is one for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmN5cHBfOLw&feature=related (I am sure there will be other tutorials, on youtube, which are better than this one ... check it out).
Having said, photoshop is an expensive software ... it might be cheaper to get an entry level DSLR with a 50mm f/1.8 lens from any of the leading DSLR manufacturers and get superb portraits with great background blur.
Thank you! I will check that out!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
But you don't have to.

As I mentioned, use the zoom to your advantage.

e.g. If you want the in focus face, out of focus background,you could:

1. Use the zoom at 2x, and stand about 1m (3') from the subject.
2. Use the zoom at 8x, and stand about 3m (10') from the subject.
3. Use the zoom at 20x, and stand about 10m (30') from the subject.

etc.
Is something wrong with my camera??? When I zoom all the way in it shakes like crazy. Is there someway to stabilize it without putting it on a tripod?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Is something wrong with my camera??? When I zoom all the way in it shakes like crazy. Is there someway to stabilize it without putting it on a tripod?
Nothing wrong with your camera. That is the trade off.

If you use the LCD in those situations, holding it out away from your body, it will shake a lot. With a long zoom, try the viewfinder, and tuck your elbows in to your body. This will reduce the shakes a lot.

You can also do the same, but brace your body up against a tree or a wall, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:00 AM   #9

Quote:
It is normal for cameras to shake when using long zoom ... follow the tips suggested by dnas about how to hold the camera ... if you don't like using tripod or monopod, try this idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlJl7TbXTA ... after watching this video I started using it for my macro photography (with Sigma 150mm on Canon 7D) and it really works.
I had also seen another video or photo where the guy just tied the string over the camera (rather than using tripod socket to secrure the string) ... also search for "DIY Image Stabilizer" in youtube, there are plenty of other neat ideas.
Try it you might like it.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 9:48 AM   #10

I think something IS wrong now with my camera.. In apeture mode the shutter is always on 1/30 1/ 60 or 1/80. It won't go up anymore. I know you can't change it in this mode but I just noticed this.....OH NO!! I can switch to manual and then the shutter goes up to whatever I choose but for some reason on Aperture it wants to stay at that shaking point! What should I do???