Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:35 AM   #1

Default Nikon P100 or Panasonic FZ35? Please Help

I am new to this forum and new to cameras overall. I have done countless hours of research to find the appropriate camera. I am at a loss, and before I purchase a quality camera I am looking for some professional opinions.

I am going on a missions trip to Nairobi Africa. I am looking to get a new camera cause how often do you go to Africa. I will be taking mostly pictures of people, but I am going on a 2 Day safari...and I want a camera with good zoom so that I can capture a lion in the distance. I can't do more than $300 or so. Hence why I have chosen these two. can't do a DLSR.

Now I have done my homework, and the differences between the two camera's are pretty small. The biggest negatives to the P100 that I have seen is poor images and lock up of the lens. Now...as an untrained eye will I notice the image quality?? Or is that more for the experts?

The biggest problem that is keeping me from getting the FZ35 is the video. Although it gets good video...I have seen that converting the video to an WMP or a Quick Time is a hassle. That I have to buy another program to upload the videos to my computer.

So here are my questions that I would really like an opinion on....since I am ordering the camera today.

1. The picture quality of either. Am I really going to know the diffference? As an untrained professional?
2. The ability to load and post movies from an FZ35 to my computer and then burn to a cd or post to a website, youtube, or face book..is this easy? Or stick with the P100?
3. Is the difference between 18x zoom and 26x zoom that big of a difference?
4. For a camera that will be mainly used for pictures outside and a safari and then some indoor shots which is better?
5. Am I missing anything?

Thank you everyone who can help as soon as possible. Don't want to make a mistake.

Last edited by Evolution8; Jun 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Evolution8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:49 PM   #2

well I purchased the Nikon P100. I didn't get any feedback either way...so I did based of the easy ness of use, and video capabilities. Guess we will when I come back from my trip if I made the right choice. Got 2 different tripods to help with better quality pictures.
Evolution8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:19 AM   #3

Default Nikon P100 or Panasonic FZ35?

Evolution 8,

I too have been vascillating between these two cameras. The P100 has the bigger zoom, wider focal length, faster continuous shooting speed, and a bigger and articulating monitor. Yet despite all these features, the reviews on its image quality are inconsistent, with most of them being just OK. The IQ on the FZ35 on the other hand, gets much more consistently favorable reviews. So I am torn. I like to take pictures of birds and wildlife, and am tempted to go with the P100 mainly because of the continuous
shooting speed, but, like you, I hesitate. I often put the pictures on my computer monitor as screen savers, and I also wonder if the difference in the IQ between these cameras is really noticeable. I'm torn, and would appreciate any input on this.
Noel Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:46 AM   #4

...continuous shooting speed... with Nikon the screen turns black, so you cannot follow the subject... UNBELIEVABLE! I ended up with 'empty' photographs!

I bought the Nikon p100, but replaced it with fz38.

What I miss? The 3" display, the tilting lcd, that little extra zoom, the 'classy' brand and look.
What I gain? Real colors (no aberation), good focus, light weight, better image quality overall, some more euros in my pocket.
So far I didnt regret it!
If you are not in a hurry, just wait for a few months, there will propably be a replacement for the fz35.
The final choise is yours, though!
alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:54 AM   #5

Kibaris,

I think your advice about waiting for the FZ35 replacement is a good one. Maybe they'll come out with a 3" tilt screen or a faster continuous shooting speed. If they do, I'll jump on it. In the meantime, I still have my FZ8, which I'm happy with. Thanks for your input.

Noel
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:01 AM   #6

I am looking forward for the replacement as well, if they solve these minor problems I may have to replace the fz38 with the new one! (it depends on the price!)
alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:34 AM   #7

Default Same Purpose Same Question

Evolution8 any feedback on the p100 you bought...have you been for the Safari

How is the result?
How is the Handling?
Image Quality?

Netizenn
netizenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:28 AM   #8

Nikon P100 vs Panasonic FZ35

Looks like the new Panasonics, particularly the FZ100, make this question a moot point. The FZ100 seems to blow both cameras out of the water. If the reviews hold up, it's going to be hard to beat the FZ100. The biggest drawback seems to be the price.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution8 View Post
I want a camera with good zoom so that I can capture a lion in the distance.

The biggest negatives to the P100 that I have seen is poor images and lock up of the lens. Now...as an untrained eye will I notice the image quality?? Or is that more for the experts?

Is the difference between 18x zoom and 26x zoom that big of a difference?
Owner of a Nikon P100 for few months... The zoom is amazing, could not be happier, I get great quality shots at max zooming, although when full zoom takes a steady hand or tripod.... you will not be dissapointed with the full zoom...

here is an example...

should note, these are from my facebook page so images are limited in size, very reduced...

This is a view from my seats at a baseball game at Comerica Park in Detroit, we sat upper deck.. and ya the photo makes it look a bit further than what it was, players dont look that small from where we were... but you'll get the idea...

Now here are some shots I zoomed in with....

Some other shots i have taken recently....
picture quality seems fine with me, like you said, as not being a pro would you notice the difference? Probably not....

my english bulldog

Few close ups...

I'm also a newbie to photography, never used a DSLR, just point and shoots... and most my photos taken even the ones above are all on Automode, so if I tweaked with all the settings and became more experienced I'm sure I will get even better quality shots...

the Nikon P100 was my first pickup, like you, I debated on all kinds and for one that fits my budget (300-400)....

I'm 100% happy with it !!

As for lockups... only twice did it say "Remove Lens Cap" when the cap was already off... no big deal.... in the 6 months or so since owing it just twice so not worried about it....

for more help on superzoom camera's check out this review

(sorry for posting off-site... but very helpful article)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q110superzoomgroup/

here they compared the

•Canon Powershot SX20 IS
•Casio EX-FH25
•Fujifilm FinePix HS10
•Fujifilm FinePix S2500HD
•Kodak Z981
•Nikon Coolpix P100
•Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38
•Pentax X90
•Samsung WB5000

Good Luck on your decision, hope this helps...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution8 View Post
well I purchased the Nikon P100.
sorry, I posted my pics after reading your first thread and didn't realize you already made your decision and purchase... hope to hear back from you after the trip and see how it went....