Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 14, 2003, 9:22 AM   #1
whi

Default Coolpix SQ noise problem

Hello!
I've bought a Nikon Coolpix SQ and have been testing it but when I looked at the photos I was a bit dissapointed by the noise level in some pictures mostly when light conditions were low.
I was wondering if there is some way of reducing this.
Maybe the jpg compression does a lot, too - is there some way to get the picture out of the camera in some other format (less compressed)?...
Thanks!
whi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:01 AM   #2

My first thought was maybe you had your iso sensitivity set too high, but the camera will only go up to the equiv of iso 200. I think that should be fine. Here are 3 things I can think of to check:

1. When shooting with the flash ensure your subjects are within range of the flash.
2. Ensure your image size is set to atleast 2MP. I'd use 3MP since that is what your camera can do.
3. Ensure you image quality is set to fine (this is the least amount of jpeg compression your camera offers). You camera will not save in other file formats such as tiff or raw.

If you can post a sample picture with noise in it (include the EXIF info), that may help resolve the problem.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 2:27 PM   #3

Default Re: Coolpix SQ noise problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by whi
I've bought a Nikon Coolpix SQ and have been testing it but when I looked at the photos I was a bit dissapointed by the noise level in some pictures mostly when light conditions were low.
The higher than formal noise level of the SQ is well known. The noise level is high when the shutter speed is low and the light condition is poor (e.g., night shots). However, it is in general good in day light condition. See here for more details.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5836224
On the other hand, when you print 4x6 and 5x7 images, you won't see much noise. My experience shows that you may go as large as 8x11 and still get an acceptable print. If you try to blow it up on screen, no consumer level digicams can satisfy you for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whi
I was wondering if there is some way of reducing this. Maybe the jpg compression does a lot, too - is there some way to get the picture out of the camera in some other format (less compressed)?.
NeatImage is a very popular software that can reduce noise significantly. The Noise Ninja is a new one which is also good. People also reported good results with other software. JPEG compression creates mostly artifact rather than noise. You can always shoot in the FINE mode to reduce artifacts. However, the SQ does not people to turn off sharpening which may contribute to noise level.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote