Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 16, 2003, 2:56 PM   #1

Default NIKON 5700 vs 5400 V Sony DSCV1 V Cannon G5

Hello

My first posting on this site. As far as my prior equipment, I own a Nikon N70 with Tamarac lens. I am now interested in purchasing a 5MP digital camera (ultimately buying a mega megapixel digital SLR in the future). I have done research online, including www.dpreview.com and www.megapixel.net.

First, between a Nikon 5700 and a Nikon 5400, which would you recommend (I like the 8X zoom capability of the Nikon 5700 which would eliminate the need to purchase additional lens accessories for the short term)? Then take that model and how does it hold up vs. the Sony DSC-V1 vs. the Cannon G5? I am leaning towards the Nikon 5700. Any opinions and comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
atserafini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2003, 3:00 PM   #2

I have no experience with the Sony model but I would rate the 5700 above the G5. The 5700 is a great camera and the prices are very affordable at this time. The G5 has had clamoring of noise issues from review sites and users.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:06 AM   #3

Default Nikon 5700 (continued)

Thanks for your quick reply Phil.

Regarding the 5700, I have read that you can buy filters for it (polarizing, neutral-density and the like) if you purchase an adaptor. Is this true? I would love to protect the lens if I buy the camera. If true, where can I purchase the adaptor (and lenses).

As far as size, how does it compare, say, to a Nikon N70 or similar SLR (or digital cameras for that matter). Most stores in my area (Washington state) do not have it in stock...

I would assume you would also recommend a 256 MB storage media too (or do you have other recommendations.

Thanks again for your observations and comments.

Andrew
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:40 AM   #4

Andrew

The answer is yes. I use the adapter created by a gentleman name Bernie Hiens. This is a link to his web site:

http://www.nextphoto.net/5700.htm

This adapter tube is far superior than the one sold by Nikon. The adpater tube slides so that you can leave the adpater tube on all the time. It helps protect the lens from damage. You can also add tele lens, wide angle lens and different filters.

I have two 256 mb cards and in highest jpeg compression each card will hold 104 photos. I would not buy less than a 256 but you might consider the 512mb card.

I bought my camera from www.buydig.com. I also use www.newegg.com for camera purchases.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:12 AM   #5

Great info, Phil.

I went to the Heins' website and was a bit confused by all the different options. Would you mind directing me to the model # of the one you purchased. I assume that you can keep the filter on all the time even though it slides (except, of course, when you use a wide angle or telephoto adaptor). I really want to protect the lens 24/7.

While not promising these to be my final few questions, when you bought your camera from buydig, did you purchase an extended warranty (I know these warranties often get bad press)? Also, where do you buy your Nikon filters. I currently use UV and neutral density filters on my Nikon N70.

On the aside, the buydig pricing seems to be very competitive if not one of the losest I have seen for the 5700.

Andrew
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:24 AM   #6

Andrew

This is the link to the adapter:

http://www.nextphoto.net/coolfix_variable_5700.htm

You leave this adapter on all the time. When you want to add a telephoto lens you slide the adapter all the way out. When you want to add a wide angle converter you slide the adapter all the way to the rear. I leave a Hoya UV filter on the adapter at all times. I also carry a polar adapter.

I did buy the 5 year extended warranty from buydig.com. I do not normally buy the warranties but I plan on keeping this camera for several years.

I bought extra batteries and memory cards from www.newegg.com. I purchased an off brand battery for $22 and a 256 CF card. newegg prices were alot less than buydig.com.

I purchase adapter rings and filters from www.2filters.com. They are very competive and handle a variety of vendors.

The 5700 is a great camera.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 12:56 AM   #7

Default filter sizing for bernie's 5700 variable adaptor ring

phil:

i recently jumped off the cliff and purchased a Nikon CP5700 from a local place that was paying the sales tax!

i also just ordered a variable adaptor ring from nextphoto (bernie's website) per your recommendaton. i also went to the filter webpage you recommended and was wondering what is the size of the filter i would be buying to use with the ring adaptor (62 mm?)...i will probably buy the hoya UV and polarizing filters.

thanks again and happy new year.

andrew
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:15 AM   #8

Yes I believe the filter that fits on the end of the adapter is 62mm. I already had 55mm hoya filters and a Tcon 17 tele lens so i purchased a step down ring to 55mm. I leave my uv filter on all the time.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:16 AM   #9

Forgot to add. I also use this site for Nikon questions

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1007

It is the nikon forum on www.dpreview.

Alot of great information is here.