Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:37 PM   #1

Default Weird Problem w/ Coolpix 900

I had a weird thing happen this week-end with my Coolpix 900. Here's the deal: I charged up my new Quest NIMH batteries and loaded them into my Coolpix for a family Christmas party. Everything seemed fine. I showed the relatives a few pictures. Then the camera started shutting down prematurely. I'd shut it off for awhile and then start it up. It did take four beautiful pictures. I tried shuting off the monitor to save battery life. That didn't help. The monitor just went blank on it's own. Then, at the end, I couldn't even shut the camera off. The top info screen stayed lit; no matter where I turned the switch. That freaked me out. Turned power to off and it was still on. I had to remove the batteries to get it to die. I've never had any kind of problem with the camera before. I was just bragging to the family how great this old Coolpix 900 has been. Do you think I got one defective NIMH battery? I guess I haven't used them before that night. I hope the batteries didn't damage the camera. I hate to go out and buy another $16 worth of high powered alkaline batteries to see if it still works.
On another note, has anyone found a work-around for the short time period before the camera shuts itself down?
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2003, 2:31 PM   #2
Administrator

New NiMH batteries need to be charged/discharged about four times before they hold a 94% charge. This is because the charger shuts off before the cells are completely charged. This does not mean that you charge them four times in a row but rather that they go through about four CYCLES of being charged and used.

As for the Coolpix 900 timeout. That problem was solved a long time ago. Lucky you, I still have the program. You need to download this file:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nikon900_powersave.zip

Unzip all of the files to a folder. Connect the camera to computer with the serial cable and then run the .bat file from a DOS window. It will set the timeout value to 180 seconds instead of the default 30 seconds.

Back when the Coolpix 900 was made the batteries weren't nearly as powerful as they are today so Nikon set that timeout to just 30 seconds to save battery power.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 2:55 PM   #3

Default Coolpix 900 Timeout...

Thanks Steve for the help with the batteries. I hope I didn't damage the camera. I'd like to try the work-around for the Coolpix 900 timeout but I use a Mac. Can I still use those directions? Or are they PC only?
Teri
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:34 AM   #4
Administrator

Those files are for a PC - sorry, don't know diddly about Macs.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote