Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Nikon 5700 and UR-E8 converter for reverse lens macro

Shene's excellent article comparing the Nikon CP5700 and Minolta A1 fit perfectly - I use a CP5700 at work and A1 at home and plan to do macrto with both.

Shene's illustrations with the 5700 suggest the Nextphoto Coolfix 5700 adapter, which provides sliding concentric tubes to eliminate vignetting. However, with the camera in a vertical, downlooking orientation as on a copystand, I'm a little concerned that with a relatively heavy lens attached (I'm planning on using the MicroNikkor 60 mm Macro lens reversed), it might tend to slip, unless fully extended. Besides, at $60, it's around 4X the cost of the Nikon UR-E8 adapter, which I'd guess will work for my purposes.

However, the Nikon UR-E8 specs claim the thread size is proprietary for both the camea and lens sides, and it warns that it should only be used with the Nikon attachments.

Any comments on this? The 60 mm MicroNikkor has a 62 mm filter thread, but without being sure of the UR-E8 thread, I hesitate to go that direction, and not knowing for suse about slippage of the Nextphoto Collfix 5700, I hesitate to go that direction.

Comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Optiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:42 AM   #2

I use Bernie's adapter that you describe and I think you are right about the adapter sliding if adding a lens to the adapter.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:10 PM   #3

Phil...Thanks! That's what I was expecting. I may go ahead and order it anyhow and see what I can do about jury-rigging a lock of some kind.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:41 PM   #4

Bernie's adapter is an absolute must, as far as I am concerned, for 5700 owners.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 1:05 PM   #5

Default Re: Nikon 5700 and UR-E8 converter for reverse lens macro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiker
Shene's illustrations with the 5700 suggest the Nextphoto Coolfix 5700 adapter, which provides sliding concentric tubes to eliminate vignetting. However, with the camera in a vertical, downlooking orientation as on a copystand, I'm a little concerned that with a relatively heavy lens attached (I'm planning on using the MicroNikkor 60 mm Macro lens reversed), it might tend to slip, unless fully extended. Besides, at $60, it's around 4X the cost of the Nikon UR-E8 adapter, which I'd guess will work for my purposes.

The Coolfix 5700, aka Bernie's, adapter does slip a little if a very heavy lens is mounted. But, the reverse lens is always normal or a wide angle lens, which are always light and small. If this is your concern, you might want to CKCpower's adapter available here: http://www.ckcpower.com/nikon5700.htm

Quote:
However, the Nikon UR-E8 specs claim the thread size is proprietary for both the camea and lens sides, and it warns that it should only be used with the Nikon attachments.
The thread size is 50mm that no one bother to support. Thus, the UR-E8 is supposed to be used with Nikon converters.

Quote:
Any comments on this? The 60 mm MicroNikkor has a 62 mm filter thread, but without being sure of the UR-E8 thread, I hesitate to go that direction, and not knowing for suse about slippage of the Nextphoto Collfix 5700, I hesitate to go that direction.
I am afraid that your AFD 60mm Micro Nikkor may cause vignetting because its front element is small and deeply recessed. Use a 50mm normal lens, which can be purpose used in less than $50 and sometimes less than $20 on eBay for the MF version, would be sufficient.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 1:21 PM   #6

Shene...thanks very much. Several good points. I'd forgotten about the small clear aperture of the 6o Mm MicroNikkor. I have a couple of other Nikkors available - I know for sure that I have a couple of 50 mm, f/1.2 normals, and probably one other normal. The f/1.2 has a very large clear aperture (of course, at f/1.2) but is farily heavy also, so I will probably go ahead and order the CKC Power Converter. Looks like a good solution for locking the slider - also a tad less expensive at $50. The f/1.2 has a 52 mm filter thread, so a 52/52 adapter will match that lens and adapter.

You've certainly laid to rest any thoughts of buying the Nikon UR-E8 adpater!

Thanks!