Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 9, 2002, 3:34 PM   #1

Default Nikon 4500

I need advice - I've decided to go digital and can't decide between a Nikon 4500 or a Fuji S602. My main hobby is macro work of small plants. From the reviews I've read, both have close macro but one review I read said that the S602 was "very fiddly" to use the 1cm super macro mode, as it has a "microscopic zone of focus". A dealer tells me he's sold a few 4500's to dentists for macro work. Can someone with experience or knowlege of both recommend which I should go for, or if you're a 4500 fan, convince me this is the one!

I've been using a Pentax SLR with a Vivitar 1-1 Macro lens for years and getting excellent results - check out my website and picture galleries at www.conophytum.com
With digital, I don't understand how "macro to 1cm or 2cm" relates to my SLR macro lens 1-1 life size capability. Anyone enlighten me please?

[Edited on 8-10-2002 by cono]
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2002, 9:55 PM   #2

Default It's actually a no brainer....

I have both the S602Z and CP4500. The 4500 is by far the better of the two for pure macro work.

The S602 must be switched into the super macro mode for really close shots and there is significant distortion. The CP4500 needs to have the macro on and the "sweet spot" with yellow flower available - done by adjusting zoom while looking at LCD. Then you simply determine macro magnification by camera distance to subject. Also, the CP4500 will have a Nikon ring light available shortly which will give even and bright illumination. It's definitely the better macro camera by far.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 5:42 AM   #3

Thanks for that - just what I was hoping for. If you've macro experience and can answer my added question, I'd appreciate it.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 8:17 AM   #4

Let's see if we can put it into perspective. Life size 1:1 would mean in a print the subject would print at it's actual size. Were you to photograph a honeybee setting on a dandelion and print it at 8x10 you already know approximately what it would look like.

With the Nikon CP4500 image taken at 1 centimeter from the subject, the approximately 3/4 inch honeybee would fill the entire horizontal frame of the 8x10 print. Here's an example of such where the image was taken from about 1.5 inches to give you a idea of the macro capability.

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]
Old Aug 10, 2002, 11:37 AM   #5

Nice crisp picture Lin and great depth of field. I guess you used a tripod for this? I think the 4500 is just what I need.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 2:22 PM   #6

No tripod - just a hand-held shot. Though a tripod is preferred, it's quite possible to get excellent results with hand holding the CP series of Nikons, especially if the lighting is decent.

I use the CP950, 990 and 4500 primarily for macro and the other extreme, digiscoping. They are great all around cameras - but really shine for the extremes in focal length. With a good spotting scope it's as possible to get excellent results at 6000mm as in macro mode.

Here's a shot at the other extreme - this starling was taken at 5989mm with my 990 and Swarovski ST-80 HD. I think you will be very satisfied with the CP4500 which is equal in every way to the 990 and 995 in macro and better at telephoto.

Best regards,

Lin

[Edited on 8-10-2002 by Lin Evans]

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]
Old Aug 10, 2002, 3:19 PM   #7

Two very nice pics. I really enjoy using my CP4500 and also think it is a great camera for the price.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 5:48 PM   #8

I'm impressed & convinced Lin - I'll let you know how I get on with a 4500 soon. Thanks for the advice.

Chris
Old Oct 1, 2002, 10:07 PM   #9

Lin, can you recommend any source(s) for info on using scopes for photography? (I have a 4500)
rav2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 10:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Lin, can you recommend any source(s) for info on using scopes for photography? (I have a 4500)
Hi,
There are numerous good information sites around - here's a link to Andy Brights site - check out his information then follow his links for lots of good pointers, etc.

Lin

http://digiscopingukbirds.homestead.com/