Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 13, 2010, 2:28 PM   #1

Default Fast Primes -- Need VR in low-light?

Hi,
I have a question -- if I purchase a fast prime for a Nikon D5000 for use in indoor/low-light (such as, street lighting at night, or a bar that's on the dim side), will my shots suffer from blur due to camera shake without the VR? I know that Nikon doesn't make any fast primes with VR.

I know that I can crank up the ISO when lighting is dim, but I wouldn't want to degrade my image quality with an ISO that's too high, either. I also don't intend to carry around a tripod or do a lot of post-processing. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Thanks!
jenniefw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:11 PM   #2

Jennie - yes you can have issues with camera shake. But, the other important question is: are you wanting the people in those images to be sharp? Motion blur is going to be a bigger problem than camera shake. And VR won't help with that. If you're talking about shots where you intentionally want motion blur (street shots with blurred people or blurred car light streaks) that's different.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Jennie - yes you can have issues with camera shake. But, the other important question is: are you wanting the people in those images to be sharp? Motion blur is going to be a bigger problem than camera shake. And VR won't help with that. If you're talking about shots where you intentionally want motion blur (street shots with blurred people or blurred car light streaks) that's different.
I wouldn't want them to be blurred. For most shots, I would most-likely ask them to pose. I haven't experimented with this type of lense before, so I'm not sure what the shutter speed would need to be. I've heard that on the 35mm prime lens, you would need a min shutter speed above 1/60 to counteract camera shake -- wouldn't the room have to be rather well-lit to be able to shoot at that speed and properly expose the photo?
jenniefw is offline   Reply With Quote