Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:41 AM   #1

Default D5000 zoom lens advice please...

I have just got a Nikon D5000 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

I have used for the last few years a Fuji superzoom (x18 zoom) and bought the Fuji camera mainly for the zoom.

Now I have my D5000 I need a second lens and would use this lens mainly for sport, so quick autofocus is helpful.

Having a D5000 means I need the lens to have a motor inside. I would also like this to be my main lens so not overly keen on the 70mm start, but could live with it as I do think that most times I use it I will not be wanting to change too much.

Money, as always, is tight and I really don't want to spend more than 200.

I saw a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF VR on ebay starting at 200 but no bids yet with only 7 hours to go. I am tempted but know that it won't be on the camera too often at the 70mm start.
But I have seen so many that I do not know what to choose.

TheSigma and Tamron lenses are obviously much cheaper than the Nikon's, especially once you add VR ones into the equation.

I have tagged a few shops that sell second hand lenses as I think I would rather spend 200 on a second hand Nikon than 200 on a Sigma. Unlesss you can tell me otherwise.

Will I benefit more from having a 300mm rather than just a 200mm?

How important is it to have VR or other image stabilisation?

Do I "need" to have a low f/ value (say f/2.8 or f/4) for low light?

Any help or tips in helping me choose would be appreciated.
jertzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2

You want a lens for shooting sports. What lens(es) are appropriate depends entirely on what sports you want to shoot, what level of play and where you will be shooting from. So if you could provide specific info as to those three pieces of information we can help advise what lens is best given your camera body.

For example, if you wanted to shoot American Football - NFL is different than HS Varsity under the lights is different than flag football. Even on the varsity football I would ask - are you on the sidelines or behind the fence?

So, give us some more information and we can give you better advice.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:14 PM   #3

I will be mainly taking shots at football matches but will be relatively close to the field of play (10 yards to the edge of the pitch), so most of the action will be less than 50 yards away.

However some of the shots will be under floodlight, so dim lighting and will need a lens that autofocuses in poor light
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:07 PM   #4

If it's a full sized field, you've got some challenges with distances. If you're under the lights, you've got additional challenges as you'll need an f2.8 lens. None of the lenses you're considering will do you any good under the lights. Even without the lights, a 300mm lens is only good for about 40 yards. You're 10 yards away so that only extends 30 yards into field of play. So, a very small portion of the field would be covered. Now, the least expensive sports capable 2.8 lens is going to be a 70-200 2.8 - sigma has one for $850 but that would be almost worthless 10 yards away from the field of play as a 200mm lens is only good for about 25 yards of coverage.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:57 PM   #5

To be honest the amount of floodlit shots would be minimal and if the range is that limited I would rather not bother and simply get a lens that did the job in daylight.

Would that make a difference to the lens choice?