Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 10, 2002, 8:30 PM   #1

Default Nikon 5700

Regarding th Nikon 5700, I am coming from the Coolpix 990 and am considering the 5700.

My question is how can the New York Photo Discount Stores sell the 5700 for $ 620.00? They do have an in-store warranty and apparantly no Nikon Warranty. So my credit card company doubles the Nikon warranty,so I guess I do not qualify. Bummer!

Are these discount cameras a good buy? What is the downside? I need a camera all the time and am in-store warranty in New York may be not so good for me in Los Angeles.

As soon as Nikon returns my 990, I will have a spare.......I was thinking to get the 5700 now at that $ 620.00 price and get on with my photos. I do like the 990, so the 5700 has to be better (I would think).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Luckey
Luckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2002, 9:03 PM   #2

i went from a 990 to a D7i. i wanted wide and hated the add on lenses.

as far as the Big Deal of $620. you said it no warrenty from nikon. who will be working on your camera if it fails during the warrenty period? it won't be nikon. what if that store folds during the warrenty period. i've said it before here-if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. your move.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 9:48 PM   #3

The answer about why that camera is only $600 and some chump change: grey market.

I got a good lesson about dealing with those New York discount houses. They advertise an insanely low price over the internet, but when you call to place your order, the price is just for the camera. To get the battery, the battery charger, and any sort of waranty, it will cost extra.

These discount houses buy these cameras grey market, strip the contents of the box and sell the individual pieces. They can do this, because they don't have to worry about invalidating the warranty of the camera they're selling -- Nikon (or any other camera manufacturer) won't honor waranties on grey market cameras, because they're not directly distributed via Nikon channels to the US.

What does this mean? Well, for example, the cameras may be designed to operate under a different standard (maybe a different voltage to match the country of origin's codes, and it wouldn't work right in the US, or the video format is different. Kindof like buying a foreign DVD, putting it in your US DVD player, and suddenly you have a Zone 2 DVD that you're trying to play in a Zone 1 player -- it won't play!)

Don't use those discount houses. You'll find that, if you just want to order the camera by itself, they'll cancel your order without telling, or they'll say that it'll take weeks for the camera to arrive. If you decide to buy from them, and you order the battery, the charger, and the Mack warranty, you end up at about $1,000 anyway.
crowmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 11:36 PM   #4

Default Nikon 5700

Hi......This is Luckey.....Thanks for the 2 replies.....I will take your advice and not buy from the NY discounters. I will go to Good Guys here in LA and buy a the negotiated price they give me......Their warranty is quite good too......While my 990 is in the shop (Good Guys sent back to Nikon on the East Coast), I wanted to get the 5700......Looks like I will go there on Monday. I miss the 990, it is good for my business since I take lots of automotive pictures for my web site......!

Thanks,

Luckey
Old Aug 11, 2002, 8:09 PM   #5

Default I always wondered who said that...

sjms - I always wondered who coined the phrase "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is", and now I find out it was you
alinford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 5:35 PM   #6

Crowmama is right on. Go some NY area discounters are worthy of consideration. B&H for one. I have also had very good luck with Buydig.com. I recently purchased the 5700 from Abe's of Maine because they had the camera in stock and at a fair price $875.00 (US warranty) and didn't try to sell me loads of crap I didn't need. The camera arrived when I wanted it, also.

BUT...it does depend on the sales person you get on the phone (don't buy at Abe's on the web, the phone price is always lower, but not so for B&H and Buydig, their web sites reflect their price and they don't budge).

The old addage remains true: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Stay away from the likes of A&M, Cambridge, Broadway, and Marine Park. They give shops a bad name. See photo.net for a huge list of stores that work and those that don't.
Zeddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 8:43 PM   #7

Default Nikon CP5700

Hi......I appreciate everyone's advice......I decided to get the CP4500 because it was very similar to the CP990 that is at Nikon's repair facility for another 6 weeks......The 5700 is probably the next for me since the CP990 may not be able to be repaired and in that case the store will allow me to upgrade......or I may go straight to the True SLR-Digital......It may be just time.....

Again thanks to all........ps, I will also look at the Canon equivalent when I decide to do this......I have lots of Canon experience when I lived in Japan (1966-1980).......

Regards,

Luckey
Old Aug 20, 2002, 8:49 PM   #8

I would not be so negative about the NY stores. Gray market is an issue but not necessarily a deal killer. A bigger issue may be the parts issue. Even here, if you are careful there is not necessarily a big issue. Even a stripped coolpic 5700 will have everything you need except: battery and charger; flash card. The flash card that comes with the camera is worthless and oyu can buy a better battery and charger from Maha for less than $100.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 3:04 PM   #9

Most of the NY mail order stores sell grey market products which do not market properly through a authorized dealer, and have no USA warranty, when you buy a product such as a digicam, even though is a grey market, they have no right to strip the accessories that came with it in the box( may be most of these do not cost much, some of them are expensive to replace and why the heck are they doing that anyway?), that is an unhostnest act, no good business, and many NY mail order stores do that. When order camera from the NY area, you have to know who you're dealing with and their policy including the return policy. B & H is a very reliable and respected dealer, their services and shipping timing are outstanding that very few dealers can match (they will ship most products you order via Fedex 3 days and only charge you the ground shipping costs), they sell both grey market and USA warranty products, but they will give you that option to choose, grey market price always lower than the USA warranty products, with USA warranty, anything wrong with it, you can bring to any authorized dealer in the country for services, with the grey market item, you have to send it back to B & H for sevices, because they assume the liablility for the warranty, beware of others who will ask you to send it overseas to repair.

Here are some of the mail order stores that I do business with and they are good dealers that you can trust

B & H of NY
Sammy's of LA
Canoga camera of CA
Epperson Photo of OKC
One Call
Service photo of Baltimore (Nikon)

I'm no longer order anything from Cameraworld since they're aquired by Ritz

[Edited on 8-21-2002 by [email protected]]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 3:58 PM   #10

Useful comment.

Also ..

it si very importnat to calculate the full cost of the camera. A stripped camera that saves 500, may save "0" if :

the necessary accesories (usually the battery, charger, software and manual are either unavailable or will cost say $200.

The NEEDED thord party warranty costs $300 OR comes form an unreliable source.

OTOH ..

if you really can get a 5700 for $700, the battery, etc. should only cost $100 at most and a three year warrnaty may cost only $200. If the store will include the SW and manual, this is $900 ... meaning you save $200 to $300. That is not punk change!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote