Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Coolpixs 8400 download problem

I have a coolpixs 8400 that gives the following error when I go to download it; A USB device has exceded the power limits of it's hubport.

The cable has been replaced & gives the same error reguardless of which cable is used. Tired to download on a different computer & nothing happen, no error code, just nothing. Never any problems with this camera until now..

Any ideas???
jballen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:36 PM   #2
Administrator

I dunno... Have you tried a different memory card in it to rule out a problem with it?

If so, and it's not working on more than one PC and it's not the cable, you may just want to get a card reader if the camera is still working OK otherwise. That's the way I always transfer my images (using a card reader).

They're relatively inexpensive anymore. Here are some USB attached readers that support CompactFlash cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:40 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, I haven't tried that yet but I will as a friend of mine has a card reader so I'll give it a try...
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:26 PM   #4

Last night I was able to download the memory card using a card reader. So I think it's a camera problem.

It was suggested that it needed a firmware update??

Where would I get one???
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:35 PM   #5
Administrator

It's unlikely a firmware issue. But, you can get the latest firmware for your 8400 here if you want to try updating it to see what happens. But, a word of caution... if your card has an issue, and the firmware update doesn't complete, you can "brick" your camera (leaving it inoperable entirely). So, I would not suggest trying to update your firmware using a card that might have issues.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...ail/a_id/13624

Did you try a different memory card in the camera, as I asked in my last post?

That would rule out a problem with your card (just because it works in a reader doesn't mean it's not drawing too much current or have an issue causing your problems).

IOW, it may not be a camera issue (your card may be the culprit), and if it's drawing too much current, you could damage your camera trying to continue using it.

If a another known good card doesn't work in your camera, then it's probably a camera problem. In that case, if the camera works OK otherwise, I'd just use a card reader to transfer my photos (versus going to the expense of having it repaired), since card readers are very inexpensive.

Personally, I always use a card reader to transfer images from my cameras anyway.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:39 PM   #6

I'll give it a try tonight if my friend is home as I only have 1 memory card.

This site has been far more helpful than the Nikon site!!

Report back as soon as I try it...
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:54 PM   #7
Administrator

Cards are cheap. ;-)

So, I'd try a different one to rule out a problem with the one you have.

But, note that the CP 8400 does appear to require Firmware version 1.5 to fully support CompactFlash cards larger than 2GB (that firmware version added better support for FAT32 formatted cards from what I can find out). If your card is larger than 2GB, then firmware version might be causing a problem if you're not already on 1.5 (although from the type of warning you're seeing, I'd suspect a card or camera defect instead of a file system problem).

One other thing you may want to check.... The CP 8400 supports more than one USB Transfer Mode. I'd set it to Mass Storage versus PTP for best compatibility (that way, the camera should show up as an external drive under "My Computer", and the computer will treat it just like any other USB attached drive).

You'll find a USB choice on the second page of your camera's setup menus.
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:13 PM   #8

I just checked & It's set on Mass storage.

Firmware 1.1 is installed..

So I'll pop in a card tonight and see!!!