Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 26, 2003, 8:08 AM   #1

Default Two questions about my Coolpix 2100

My camera keeps recording images in increasing numbers even when I delete or format the card. No matter what I do, it's not starting back from DSCN0001.jpg. Is this normal? Is there a way to make it restart the count?

Images I upload to the computer are noticeably darker than when I see them on the small LCD screen. Is this normal, and if it is is there any way to get the camera to take brighter pictures?

Thank you for any reply.
Violet sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:00 AM   #2

Quote:
My camera keeps recording images in increasing numbers even when I delete or format the card. No matter what I do, it's not starting back from DSCN0001.jpg. Is this normal? Is there a way to make it restart the count?
This is normal behavior. I have a CP 4300 and it does the same thing. In my setup menu, however,I have a sequence number option and it has 3 options.
1. On - default - what your camera is currently doing
2. off - tells your camera to start at the lowest seq # available
whenever you swap out CF cards. The counter would reset
to zero if you formatted your card
3. reset - resets the sequence # counter to the lowest
# available which would be 0 if the CF was newly formatted.

Your camera may have similar options.

Quote:
Images I upload to the computer are noticeably darker than when I see them on the small LCD screen. Is this normal, and if it is is there any way to get the camera to take brighter pictures?
This is probably due to an incorrectly calibrated computer monitor. By comparing picutres on my work and home monitor I have noticed subtle differences in lightness as well which I know calibration will fix ... just hadn't gotten around to it. I did a quick google search and found this web site on calibrating your monitor: http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm You may be able to find better sites, but this one seems pretty good.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 7:31 PM   #3

My setup menu is as follows:

Welcome screen
Language
Date
Brightness
Volume
Auto off
CF card format
USB
Video mode
Reset all

There's no option about the sequence number at all.
I'm going to try removing the batteries for a night... maybe if the internal memory is erased it'll reset itself.
Violet sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:23 PM   #4

I'm surpised that your camera does not have the option, but Yes, taking the battery out will probably work. Just make sure that the battery is out for at least 10 hours. I'm sure your camera has an internal battery that could keep a charge taht long .... I know mine can. Personally, I wouldn't worry much about the seq #'s though. What I like to do is you a batch rename program to rename my files to a more meaningful name .... but that's me.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 8:02 AM   #5

Default Re: Two questions about my Coolpix 2100

Setup menu ----> Reset All is the only way to reset the numbering, the numbering is set this way so you do not have dupe filenames.

Reset All must be done on a formatted, empty card
puredigital is offline   Reply With Quote