Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 11, 2002, 5:57 AM   #1

Default The Scenery/Landscape Shots of 4500

i read lots of review about 4500 and most of them said this DC is good in shooting macros. however, what about the quality of scenery/landscape shots? i have viewed some sample scenery galleries (in the 4500 review ---> sample pictures) and found that the images are a bit "soft", and is not sharp as i expected.

is it common for Nikon lens? if i want sharp images, what brand is better? i found that the quality of Minolta Dimage F100 is good, what do you think?

many thanks for your advice.

arno poon

[Edited on 8-11-2002 by arnopoon]
arnopoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2002, 11:07 PM   #2

Like several other digicam designs (D30, D60 Canon, etc.) Nikon has elected to not oversharpen the CP4500 images in the default mode. If you shoot in default mode without setting sharpening any higher by the menu, the images are a bit softer than with previous Nikon CP series digicams.

On the other hand, they take sharpening very well and can be made as sharp as most 4 megapixel camera images. If landscapes with exceptional fine detail are your primary goal and you have little interest in macro or digiscoping, I would suggest a five megapixel camera like the 5700, Dimage 7 or Sony DSC-F707 which reveal detail similar to the six megapixel removable lens digital SLR's. No, the images are not as "good" as the professional level cameras, but the additional megapixel of resolution does come very close to the six megapixel cameras because much of the additional megapixel on the pro-level cameras is used to capture a wider image which is only marginally taller than the 5 megapixel consumer/prosumer cameras.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 2:51 PM   #3

Geez, Lin, now I've got to learn sharpening too? (LOL but a serious frustration)
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 3:13 PM   #4

You don't "have" to learn shapening, but it may help to understand the basics.

Most digital cameras have several sharpening levels available by menu choice. With some, even the least amount of sharpening is too much and produces a halo effect around the image. This halo is nearly impossible to remove. Getting rid of it requires cloning from adjacent pixels and is extremely time consuming.

Nikon simply did the smart thing and set the default sharpening to a very low level which doesn't produce artifacts of sharpening (halos, etc.) and leaves the amount of firmware sharpening to the individual. If the images posted were taken in the default sharpening mode or have not been post processed, they will be softer - like a portrait mode. If you crank up the sharpening internally, the camera will oblige you and sharpen just as crisp as anything else you see. However, if you don't like sharpening artifacts, it's better to use a "smart" sharpening algorithm like UltraSharpen Pro (PhotoShop plugin). Then you can fine tune the effect for the image. For landscapes, etc., you can sharpen aggressively and for portraits you can limit the sharpening to things like eyes and lips, etc.

It's really simple with these type tools, not really a lot to learn unless you want to really understand the process. If you just want images which all look like they came from whatever you see on the web that looks good - just set the sharpening in firmware to a high level and you will get just that.

It's really nice to have the choice - something Nikon did right in my opinion....

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 6:57 PM   #5

Thank you, Lin. I assume it is just as well to do the sharpening in the computer. I guess I have to get the Photoshop plug-in.

Thanks again,

Bob

[Edited on 8-20-2002 by Robert Eastburg]
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote