Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 11, 2002, 4:31 PM   #1

Default Any reason to buy 995 vs 4500?

I have a Kodak DC260 digital camera, and I'm ready to upgrade. I'd like to have higher resolution, and a little more zoom. I use my camera for general photography. I had just about decided to buy a Nikon Coolpix 995, but for only about $40 more I can get the 4500. The cost difference is insigificant, but I'd be getting 4 MP vs. 3.34. Is there any reason to buy the 995 instead of the 4500? I'm interested in any thoughts or opinions regarding the 4500 and other similar cameras in the $500 - $700 price range. Thanks for any assistance.
RNYerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2002, 9:49 PM   #2

I thought the price difference was far higher, such as $200+ more for the 4500.

Price would be the only advantage in my book and that isn't an advantage when you figure all the new features you would miss, the ergonomic improvements on the 4500, the extra megapixel, the 16 shooting modes, redesigned pop up flash, all metal body, smaller size, approved micro-drive usage, etc.

If it really is really only a $40 difference in your area you should not even consider the 995 over the 4500 and even if the price difference was $200-300 I still would not consider the 995 over the 4500.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:29 PM   #3

thanks for the insights - that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I may have the price difference wrong - I'll check; I got the price difference by looking at prices for both cameras from discount online sellers.
Old Aug 11, 2002, 11:11 PM   #4

You're right, the price difference is in the $100 - $200 range. However, I'm still inclined to agree that the price difference is worth it. Thanks again.