Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:38 AM   #1

Default The New Nikon P500 & P300

The P500 is the replacement for the P100 and has 36x optical zoom lens (22.5mm - 810mm) and now also has full HD 1080p video recording as well as a CMOS sensor and 240fps vga video.

The P300 is a brand new model not replacing anything, It has a large aperture of f1.8, which will allow more light onto the back-illuminated 12.2Mp CMOS sensor. This should make it a strong performer in low-light conditions when the flash isn't used - an area that's particularly challenging for many compact cameras.

The Coolpix P300 offers full manual control alongside aperture and shutter speed priority modes. Like the P500, it's able to shoot Full HD video at 1080p resolution. It can also shoot in slow motion, but instead of being able to achieve the 240fps of the P500, its maximum rate is 120fps. This will allow users to shoot VGA clips and play them back at a quarter of their usual speed.

Source with early hands on Videos: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/02/...x-p300-244393/
Smg-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2011, 2:31 PM   #2

P500 has a little zoom toggle on the side of the lens barrell. Would have liked to see a manual focus/zoom ring instead (eg. Fuji HS20 has the latter)
babya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:51 AM   #3

Smg-

On paper both of these new introductions by Nikon look interesting. However, two factors come into play in any pre-evaluation of these two new cameras. Nikon has had a poor record over the last 3 years with the image quality in their line of P+S cameras. The P100 is a good example. The P100 was not made by Nikon itself. Rather, it was put out to contract with a Chinese factory. That changed both the fit and finish and the image quality. The P100's problems were multiple, but the biggest 2 were CA and Visible Noise. Even at base ISO (the lowest ISO setting) the P100 showed noise in its images. Once the ISO was numerically increased, the visible noise level in the photos rose quite measurably.

On paper these two new introductions look good. The P500, a competitor in the long or super zoom class camera, that will compete with cameras like the Fuji HS20, the Canon SX30 and Sony's HX100 an has an interesting 22.5mm wide angle. The P300 is an attempt at returning Nikon to their old Performance line of cameras, like the P6000. The P300 will compete is the high performance compact class of cameras, and is thus a new entry into their P+S line of cameras, but does not seem to replace the P7000. Neither of these two cameras has a RAW capability.

So, only in my opinion, this is a time to sit back and wait for the Professional Reviews, and the user reports, to see how the "on paper" specifications work out in every day shooting.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 13, 2011 at 11:55 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 3:00 PM   #4

I did further research on the Nikon P-500-

Imaging Resource did a pretty comprehensive preview at:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP500/CP500A.HTM

The P500 will have RAW it is is listed in the fine print under the "specs" tab. All in all their preview was fairly positive, although there were a couple of comments that I found significant (1) that most users will probably not use either of the extreme ends of the zoom range. The wide angle has enough distortion at full wide angle that people's heads and bodies are distorted in those photos. (2) It is best to use the traditional Nikon BSS (best shot system) at full zoom, as the camera is measurably difficult to handhold at full (810mm) zoom.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:29 PM   #5

Further research of even Nikon's websites shows that the P500 does NOT have Raw. Perhaps it was Imaging Resource that made the error. Only time will tell which is really correct.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Nikon has had a poor record over the last 3 years with the image quality in their line of P+S cameras. The P100 is a good example. The P100 was not made by Nikon itself. Rather, it was put out to contract with a Chinese factory. That changed both the fit and finish and the image quality. The P100's problems were multiple, but the biggest 2 were CA and Visible Noise. Even at base ISO (the lowest ISO setting) the P100 showed noise in its images. Once the ISO was numerically increased, the visible noise level in the photos rose quite measurably.
Sarah Joyce
I have to agree as I just did some shooting with the P100 yesterday.
First, this P100 was made in Indonesia, (what it said on bottom of camera)

From memory and comparing to my P90 review, the P100 isn't anywhere as good.
I posted some pictures in my P90 review that I took with the P100

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...ml#post1201087
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:59 AM   #7

f/1.8 and a 1/2.3" sensor

A strange combination.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote