Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Default Nikon P7000 -Just got it.

I got my Nikon P7000 on Tuesday. I wanted excellent image quality for a compact camera, RAW, an optical viewfinder, a minimum zoom range of 80-200mm and lots of manual control. The Canon G12 simply does not have the zoom range to meet my needs and is a little heavier than I wanted. The reviews I have read of the P7000 all indicate that its image quality is excellent, but that its RAW processing is on the slow side and that there are occasional mishits when focusing. Still, on balance, I feel it will best meet my needs. I took it out for the first time on Wednesday and I am pleased with its image quality so far.

Here is a link to my new Nikon P7000 Gallery in case anyone is interested in taking a look.

http://www.pbase.com/frank_b/nikon_p7000
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:38 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new camera, Frank-

I saw your posting over in the Nikon Forum at DPR. Your photos look good. I held back from a P7000 due to the camera being quite slow.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:47 AM   #3

Thanks Sarah. The slowness is/was with RAW files and that has been considerably improved with Firmware upgrade 1.1. If you snap a photo and then press the shutter button again in RAW+Fine JPG it takes about 3 to 4 seconds for it to take the next one. I measured this from the time reported in the EXIF information. This has not been an issue for me, in actual use. The exception, is when you take multiple RAW as you then have to wait a number of seconds for them all to be processed, before you can use the camera again. Imaging Resource timed a multiple burst of 5 RAW/Fine JPGs and got 14 seconds. In Continuous Mode I get an fps of about 1.4 seconds, again based on the EXIF information. Of course, if you take a number of photos in continuous mode you have a wait for all of them to be processed.

Regards,
Frank
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:31 PM   #4

Congratulations on your new toy!

I am considering the P7000 too to supplement to my bulky Nikon DSLRs for mobility.

I am a JPEG-only shooter. I think the speed may be OK to me.

What about the video quality of P7000?
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:19 PM   #5

Sorry, I can't help you on the video. I never use it. You might want to take a look at this review from Digital Camera Review, which does include video.

http://www.************************/...+coolpix+p7000

Regards,
frank B

Last edited by Frank B; Mar 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:52 PM   #6

How is the RAW on it? I think I read that it was a special format that PS couldn't handle, which would count it out for me.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:25 PM   #7

Thank you Frank for you advice!
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
How is the RAW on it? I think I read that it was a special format that PS couldn't handle, which would count it out for me.
RAW works fine with Photoshop CS5 (I don't think earlier versions support it). It also works fine with Lightroom 3. I think with RAW you get a little more resolution and you get more detail in the highlights. Of course, you see more noise in the RAW files, as Photoshop does very little noise reduction. I am very pleased with the image quality and from the reviews I'd say it is equal to the best 'serious' compacts. The main negative, when compared to DSLRs, is the additional noise.

Regards,
Frank B
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:52 AM   #9

i had one and liked it, then sold it for a g12...guess what, i sold the g12 and bought another p7000 (probably get it tomorrow). i think it depends on how you use the camera...while i shoot raw with my d3 and d300, with the little p&s i almost always shoot jpeg, and for this the p7000 is speedy enough. i like the reach, like the iq and colors, and like some of the features (virtual horizon for example). it is also a bit thinner than the g12, and since my p&s normally stays strapped to the chest strap of my camelbak when i am on mtn bike rides, that is just fine. i'm sure the p8000 will be a better performer, but for my needs the p7000 works well.
cohenfive is offline   Reply With Quote