Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:12 PM   #1

Default When Nikon P+S Cameras Were Famous

Nikon has slumped in the quality of P+S cameras in the past 3 years. Perhaps now Nikon is going to restore that old and treasured image quality, and fine fit and finish that we knew when models like the 5400 and 5700 were acknowledged to be fine examples of Nikon image quality.

Being in a wistful mood, I pulled out my 5400 model and took a few photos. When you view the image quality of those older cameras like the 5400, you cannot but hope that Nikon will get their P+S act together and bring back cameras that have that same image quality as the 8800, the 8400, the 5700, the 5400, and the 5000 that were indeed, at the top of the pack.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:29 PM   #2

Thanks. I looked at some of my photos from my Nikon 5700. It is remarkable how good they are when compared to todays cameras,

I do think that in terms of image quality and fit and finish the Nikon P7000 matcheds up with the very best Compacts available. So Nikon is getting back there.

Regards,
Frank B
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:36 AM   #3

Frank-

Thanks for your response. I am hoping that after 3 to 5 years of only average to poorly performing P+S cameras, that Nikon has now decided to make an effort to return to the performance and image quality that they had in the 2002 to 2006 period.

I saw the introduction of the P7000 as a very positive step in the right direction. Now hopefully, we will see further progress with the new L120, the P300, the P500, and the S-9100 all hitting dealer's shelves later this month and in April as well.

I remain enthusiastic about the P7000. However, the initial P7000 I received would not consistently auto focus very well at all, and sometimes just gave up trying to auto focus. So, I had to return it. I have been waiting patiently, thinking that Nikon would work the "kinks" out of the P-7000 as they gained more manufacturing experience with the P7000.

However, even new users, who have made all of the firmware revisions are still having problems. But, for now, I will remain optimistic.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:25 AM   #4

In low light I do find that it sometimes can be difficult to focus, I find that switching focus modes often works. In normal light it is very quick to focus (firmware 1.1).

Regards,
Frank
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote