Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 12, 2002, 3:41 PM   #1

Default Any tips for returning my camera?

Hi everyone, first post here.

I recently bought a Coolpix 885 and I'm very satisfied with it but, last week the flash burned out inside it while using it under normal conditions. It's only 2 weeks old so I'm sending it back to Nikon for repair.

Before I do though I would like some tips on packaging the camera, key words I can include in the problem description that I will be writing that will assure them I was taking care of my camera, and anything else I cant think of that you may know. I also have 1 dead pixel on the LCD that was there since I bought it but figured it was just something I would have to deal with.

Should I ask for the LCD to be fixed too? Anyone suggest just requesting a new camera? Most importantly I'm asking these questions because I dont want to leave any room for them to say the problem isnt covered under their 1 year limited warranty.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2002, 9:05 AM   #2

Default Like this

Place the camera in an anti -static bag first. Then choose an appropriate sized box. Then wrap the camera in a sheet of thin foam and tape it securely so it doesn't slip out. Use foam peanuts or soft packing foam to place around the unit and place your note on top of that. Close the box.

If the flash is burnt out, there's not too much you could have done to actually do that. I'm an electronics engineering technician myself. Just make sure you give a good description of what all the problems are an anything that happened before the problem that might give clues as to what to look for.

When we do repairs to electronics we can tell whether a problem is due to abuse or not.

Good luck!
Ben Hoog. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 10:50 AM   #3

If you can and have not already done so, call and get a return authorization number first. Try to get written (email) confirmation if this is covered under warrenty or not. May not be able to, but I always try. RGA# will allow for eaiser tracking and get the all problems logged into repair data base from the start, in addition to the letter you enclose. Don't forget to seal the AS bag the camera is in. Don't want small particules of loose packing to somehow get in the camera. Very clingy, very hard to get rid of. Either insure or know that if lost you'll have to just eat it. Return receipt so that you know it got there. I'm a little parinoid about sending in items for R&R (knowing how some of our merchandise comes back -or- doesn't come back as the case may be). I usually take pictures including one of the S/M#. Buy a disposable or have someone else do it since camera broke. good luck, ar
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 2:30 PM   #4

I received my customer number yesterday after calling up so I that part is done. I will try the email confirmation today as well. Where can I get an anti-static bag though? Would the bag that the camera came wrapped in be suitable? Thanks a lot everyone.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 5:58 PM   #5

Anti-static is mainly for exposed electronic parts, like a sound, video, etc., type of item and if you are sending back the camera it should be fine with regular wrapping and anti-static couldn't hurt, but I don't think it is needed if you package the camera well.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 3:14 PM   #6

OK. I received my camera back on 9/6/02 working just fine. Nikon received the camera on 8/15/02, (way too long if you ask me.)

I used everyones tips and im not sure if they helped out or what but I appreciate them anyway.

Thanks!

-Chris