Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:21 AM   #1

Default P300 image quality

Hi everyone,
since its a quite new camera, there are still no reviews about the P300. Yet everone is mentioning that its a big mistake not to put RAW, or its not a rival to s95 due to its sensor size. But i still think although being expensive, with a fast f1.8 lens, its a good alternative to regular point and shoots, and much smaller than olympus xz1 and panasonic lx5.
Is there anyone who owns the camera or at least has any idea about it and comment on the image quality? Low light performance?.
Thanks.
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:12 PM   #2

If you follow the Nikon Forum on another major forum site, you will find a lot of P300 sample photos and links to videos. In addition Photography Blog has done a review of the P300.

My opinion is that the P300 looked good on paper, but in typical Nikon fashion has fallen short on the real life/actual shooting scenario.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:13 PM   #3

Thanks Sarah !
Even on paper, can't help but notice why an f1.8 lens camera has the fastest shutter speed of only 1/1600? or the slowest at 8 sec. Also f4.9 on the long end is a little bit annoying. What i really want is an s95 replacement with good video capabilities
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:09 PM   #4

That was sort of what I was pointing to in my post. The P300 has some "goodie" features, but others that make you scratch your head and ask, "Now why in the heck did they do that?"

All in all I think that the G12, XZ1 or even the S-95 have more solid, worthwhile features.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote