Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:38 PM   #1
cmj

Default Do you still like your Nikon 8100?

Hi! I'm looking for feedback on this camera by people that have had it awhile and have actually learned how to use it. I was debating between this one and the ZS7, but the fact that I can get it for $249 at Costco with a 2 year warranty is swaying me to the 8100. I also read that it has marginally better low light pics than the ZS7. I've read some quirky things about focusing, lens errors etc.. I would like to get feedback from someone that has used it a lot, curious if you still like it. No camera is perfect, that's for sure. I thought I could maybe find a better low light camera if I looked at zooms from 5X-9X, but no reviews have really reflected that. I understand the limitations of a small sensor, I've tried to educate myself to make the best decision.
Thanks so much.
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:56 PM   #2

I purchased this from Costco for my husband and think it was an excellent choice. The few cons are related to the location of the pop up flash and battery charger. Pictures and ease of use are outstanding. We have owned this for about 2 months.

Pop up flash is right where I naturally want to grip the camera, so it takes a little bit of use to be comfortable with not gripping the camera in the upper corner and obstructing the pop up.

Battery is removable, but to charge the battery, you plug the camera into the wall, unlike most others that I have owned, where you remove the battery and charge in a separate unit. Makes having a backup battery ready to go a little bit of a challenge, as you need the camera to charge the backup - just need to plan ahead. Also, I can't seem to figure out if there is an option for a visible display of remaining battery when camera is in use.

Other than that, I am totally jealous that I picked such a great camera for his use - sometimes his shots rival my DSLR shots.

Last edited by mtorres415; Jun 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
mtorres415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:32 PM   #3
cmj

Have you had much problems with indoor pics being blurry? Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:18 AM   #4

I think they are acceptable, but as it turns out, most of our photos to date have been outdoors. Samples attached.
Attached Images

mtorres415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:19 PM   #5
cmj

Nice pictures. Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:25 AM   #6

I had - very much - therefore I returned the cam.
5 out of 10 pics were blurry or lacked focus.
I would go for the S9100 - but mind the video (AF problems) other than that, its a very good cam with exellent IQ.
regards, Claus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
Have you had much problems with indoor pics being blurry? Thanks.
Tresman is offline   Reply With Quote