Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:19 PM   #1
WVG

Default Nikon File format

Hey guys,just bought a Nikon Cool Pix S4000 and need some help.My past camera was a HP R717 ,before i sold it i uploaded all pics and videos to my laptop.I'm into vintage motorcycles and in past left all these on camera also .I would love to get these where they would be viewable on the S4000 .I know all cameras have there on JPEG format and this causes the problem where i can't view them on the S4000.From what i gather i need to format to Nikon NEF files ? Is this possible and how is it done ? As of now i formatted the 2gb Sony SD card and done nothing else. I do have a card reader also. Thanks,W.V.Griffin

Last edited by WVG; Jun 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM.
WVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:17 AM   #2
WVG

No ideas ???
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:04 AM   #3

JPEG is a universal standard so there should not be private versions. I think the camera tags the images somehow to say "These are mine" so manages to ignore "foreign" image files.

Nikon Capture NX will open JPEG files and save them in NEF format but i don't have an S4000 camera so I can't say if putting them on the card will work.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...X_2_Photo.html

As you can see the product isn't cheap so if you want to send me a private message with your email address I can send you an image I converted from JPEG to NEF.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:27 PM   #4
WVG

Thanks Bob,i Googled it and found a free 60 day trial on Nikon's site.I put the pics i wanted to do in a new folder ,opened up in Capture NX 2 ,selected all the pics,selected NEF NRW format,clicked file name rename which dislplayed (<original name>_0.tif) and then start . They all showed in new folder as type image/NEF . I then uploaded to SD card and tried in camera with no luck still .I then tried without changing the rename and used original source and still no good. With the SD card connected to computer i can open only the pic i took with the Nikon,the new ones want to open with Capture NX 2. Last night i sat and took pictures of the computer screen with flash off and most look amazing good. Unless you think i missed something,i think I'll settle as is. Thanks,Vaughan
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:01 PM   #5

Too bad, there is always an iPod Touch solution.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:37 PM   #6

Neither my D7000 nor P7000 could view the so-called "standard" JPEG of each other.

i.e. I inserted the SD card of D7000 into P7000 slot and cant view the images.

Same the other way round.

AFAIK, even within JPEG standard, there are diff degrees of compression as well as baseline or scanline ... etc variable properties.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:30 PM   #7

The EXIF metadata embedded in the image file contains the make and model of the camera that took the photo. At a minimum there could be routines in the camera firmware to interrogate this data and decide if this image is "friend so show" or "foreign so ignore". There may also be other "friend or foreign" flags in other areas of the EXIF data as well. Camera body serial number is also in the EXIF to really make a "mine" or "not mine" decision!

Could you use an EXIF editor and change this data in an image file to try and fool the camera? Unpredictable results could occur if the image file parameters (such as dimensions) don't match up to camera capabilities. Make sure you work on a backup copy of the file!
Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nichol View Post
The EXIF metadata embedded in the image file contains the make and model of the camera that took the photo. At a minimum there could be routines in the camera firmware to interrogate this data and decide if this image is "friend so show" or "foreign so ignore". There may also be other "friend or foreign" flags in other areas of the EXIF data as well. Camera body serial number is also in the EXIF to really make a "mine" or "not mine" decision!

Could you use an EXIF editor and change this data in an image file to try and fool the camera? Unpredictable results could occur if the image file parameters (such as dimensions) don't match up to camera capabilities. Make sure you work on a backup copy of the file!
Thanks Bob for the idea to modify the EXIF

But given such risk I would rather leave it as is.

In terms of JPEG viewing compatibility, Kodak DC is the best

I've used 3 Kodak DC and they could view the JPEG of all the other brands

e.g. Nikon, Pentax, Canon.

But again, not the other way round.

Sad that Kodak is no longer making any high end DC
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:23 PM   #9

Wait a minute. The original file name was (<original name>_0.tif) as you converted to NEF?

First the good news. While CaptureNX is a great program, you don't need it. What you need is the free Nikon ViewNX. I convert files all the time with it, either NEF to jpg and/or jpg downsizing for quick email or web forum posting. I never use the NEF + jpg option in the camera as the software will create jpgs of those I don't want to spend the time in post to process from NEF.

.tif is not .jpg. Run them back through either CaptureNX or ViewNX and convert from tif to jpg. Also, you may want to rename the file to start with DSC which is the prefix that Nikon uses..
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:53 PM   #10

My Nikon D50 will not show any jpg file even if it was taken with that camera once I have opened and saved it in any software
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote