Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 16, 2002, 3:28 PM   #11

you don't know what your missing. ok. to each is own.
my feeling don't hurt. it's just people makes judgement on items that they have never used. i myself am guilty of that also. but to judge a product in just a handling in a store does not an opinion make. i owned a 990. it was a good camera though the accessories got to the point of stupid. and it seems that the 5700 follows in its footsteps.
1- mediocre wide angle. add on lens reqd. and now some form of adapter(added cost).
2- incompatable with rest of nikon flash line except manual mode(real smart)(added cost)
3- no easy protection for front element or filter attachement (added cost).
when your done accessorising the 5700 your up another few dollar/euros of unnecessary outlay.
coming from an f5 i have a feeling for quality. the body of the d7i is Mg not plastic. and as to that particular metal not scratching easily i'l show you my metal slrs Al alloy. but i go to take pictures not worry about scratching the body. it's not a fashion statement. please that nobody beats nikon statement is the cry of every product owner who drinks the koolaid of any company. i shot with olympus for the first 15 years. outstanding lenses great bodies. om 1 2 3 4. i still have my original om1 3 4. i'll never sell them. i was forced to move on because the as ewe say in america "dropped the ball". a big 0 for support of product. my f4(metal) f5 (metal)n90s(plastic) have all served me well. as far as plastics go. your lens barrel is plastis and sticks out quite a bit. i'd be carefull if i were you and be carefull of that front element. the most failures on thse types of cameras has been hitting the lense while it is extended. the front element or the gear rack gets fragged because of the coupling to the drive motor. on the d7i the front screw on 49mm filter takes the hit. and maybe breaks. the zoom is pushed back on the helical and slides in without damage (because it is a manual zoom) generally. replace filter ops check normal. believe me i know. 2 filters gone still the zoom work perfectly. with the 5700 i see a pricey and lengthy trip to the nikon hospital.

a final statement on product loyalty. note sports and news photogs today. one year its nikon another its canon. they work with the cameras the either assigned to or given by the mfgr(great deal ain't it). the shots come out the same. why? because they're good photogs. 95%eye of the beholder 5%tools. i own nikon if i could strap on a zeiss lens to my f5 i would be very happy. i also use sigma products too.

[Edited on 8-16-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2002, 1:45 AM   #12

Hi SJMS.
Dont be so mad! We are all entitled to have an opinion,
I see your point and agree with all the failures on CP5700 (You know, the D7i aint perfect either, why did they stick to the fragile plasticbody, still a sucker for power aso, like I said earlier:"the ultimate digicam isnt available yet").
But of all the photos Ive seen, I still would prefer Nikon generally speaking of course, when it comes to picture quality.
(Id really like to see some of YOURS best shots with the D7i!!!)

But maybe it all will change next time ex. Canon puts a new camera on the market, right! But its all a matter of taste isnt it! And the size of your wallet.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2002, 8:25 AM   #13

plastibody- your wrong. it isn't. again the body, like the nikon. is a Mg alloy shell. Mg is magnesium. it just isn't anodized black. i thought you read up on this camera?

my shots are starting to show up. had to protect them somehow first. finally figured there is no real security. they are watermarked and low rez

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/galleries

it takes a little time to choose. some were taken with my older 950/990(both gone). F4 F5 N90s Nikonos

feelings have nothing to do with it. just facts on assembly and design. when you deliver an opinion back it up with the facts to which you formed that opinion. you didn't even know that the 7i body was Mg alloy.

power- how many shots does you 5700 get from 1 li ion battery? and whats the setup?

i solved my power problem a while ago.

the ultimate digicam will never be available because of our unbelievable neeed for the latest and greatest.

my photographs are a product of my eye and mind. no level of technology can improve on that. give a pinhole camera to art wolfe or alfred steiglitz and they'll make a masterpieces. its because they care

[Edited on 8-17-2002 by sjms]
Old Aug 17, 2002, 5:44 PM   #14

Saw your photos ... well, keep on trying SJMS...AND you were right; not even a D7is advanced technology could obvious help you.
:P:P:P
Old Aug 17, 2002, 6:32 PM   #15

i noticed ther was no immediate i'll show you mine.

i understand sour grapes

everybodys a critic including me.

i'm crushed. i'll never shoot again. i give up. i'll throw all my gear out. NOT!

though i can see whose feelings really got hurt.

[Edited on 8-18-2002 by sjms]
Old Aug 18, 2002, 4:11 AM   #16

Well, this must be my last message for you SJMS.

Couldnt help notice several of your comment around the forums...It seems to me, that you deliver lots of negative comments and a few good. Try to look at the bright side of life and photography, maybe you will get surprised...its really not about what you cant do - but what you CAN do, is it not!
Bye for now, it was fun!!!
(Yes, you WILL get the final statement! he he)
Old Aug 18, 2002, 4:30 PM   #17

it seems people tend to get more hung up on equipment more than taking photos. you'll also see the reasons why. when i do make a negative comment.

still waiting to see your pictures.

all mouth and no backup. how typical
Old Aug 18, 2002, 7:49 PM   #18

:SJMS

Well, youre right about the equipment, just look at the two of us! What a discussion...Minolta versus Nikon!

I posted some of my photos here:

http://www.pbase.com/kchl/europe

Please take a look!

Old Aug 18, 2002, 8:32 PM   #19

i knew you'd be back.

i do like the bridge shot.

flower 2 is a little hot on the light. a ring light or diffuser would have helped. or just cut back on the light power on the strobe. good detail.

the eiffel shot i would have bracketed about 5 frames and pinpionted the perfect exposure for it. yhat is a matter of taste

julie is cool

flower 1 also needs more light control

the spain shot is good if you could get rid if those street lights

lizard cool again a little bright for me

snake good

we shoot different things for different reasons. enjoy!

just remember: Snarl! snarl! growl! growl!

[Edited on 8-19-2002 by sjms]
Old Aug 19, 2002, 4:02 AM   #20

Ofcourse I went back - Im a reasonable man!

Good points about my photos, thanks. Your were right about the flowers!

See you elsewhere, maybe - If I dare!