Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:04 AM   #1

Default 5700 durable?

Hey, is the 5700 very durable?
Mine is coming and I just realized I didn't check how durable the thing is.
I tend to knock them around a bit; I use a wrist lanyard and carry it around like that, usually gets bumped into stuff a lot.
I beat up my Kodak DC290 pretty good, the lens wobbles now, still works but has a lot of bruises, scrapes and what not.
Is the 5700 more or less durable than the DC290?
Is the 4500 more durable for all-purpose banging around?

Thanks!
SteveC
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:16 AM   #2

Hi
I think the CP5700 is very durable. I carry mine around all the time. Loose in the pocket, throw it at the carseat a.s.o.

Only things is the screen and the flash. The flash is made of plastic - take care - and the screen could go loose. But its way more durable than ex. Dimage 7i!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:24 AM   #3

>re : " throw it at the carseat " ?!

naughty naughty
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:00 AM   #4

The 5700 ain't cheap, why not buy a $300 camera if you treat them like s**t.
Nikons are probarbly one of the most solidly built makes of camera available. But hey! give them some respect.
allant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:38 AM   #5

durability is a state of how one treats an item.

inside the box it will last foever.

throw it off a cliff it won't last a moment.

treat it with due respect and shoot with it and will last many years of fun photography.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:44 AM   #6

heard of one that fell 100 ft with no problem, but 1 foot later it made that sudden stop.
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:01 AM   #7

Klaus DK
in reference to the d71 - i disagree. any item with a flip out screen on a hinge has a considerablely higher chance of destruction or failure than one without.

the d7i also has a manual zoom ring giving better tactile control over a push button electric trombone zoom. thats 2 electrical contact switches and a motor added to the list of things that can go wrong

the 5700 has a propriatary battery system whereas the D7i has 4 simple AA nimh batts giving greater versitility in power options. i admit that reg AA don't last more than 30-40 shots but thats more than the 5700 with dead batts and they can be gotten easier. the cost for 5700 batts is $30-35 a piece. AA nimh are approx $8 for 4 batts.

please tell me of your experiences with the d7i that makes you feel that it is less durable than the 5700. i'd love to discuss it with you

i'm a very happy durable d7/d7i owner since it came out. i sold my d7 to a friend after 9 months who also loves it. the 5700 has been out oh about a month or two. yep, its durability is well documented. now i am not saying it isn't (5700)durable. i suggest you back up your claims with examples of the lack of durability of any product you use as an example. i own an nikon f5 and an n90s. for my needs i found the minolta fit better than any of the nikon line. i like the 28mm wide i hate add on lenses. the 5700 has an interesting method of adding filters and add on lenses. you can' even put on a uv filter to protect the front element with out going through hoops to do it. the d7i was a 49mm thread on the front. the d7i dual macro is excellent.
all in all IT AIN'T BROKE YET on me. it is scratched though.

i await your reply.

[Edited on 8-14-2002 by sjms]
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:11 AM   #8

Its all subjective isn't it.
every camera will have a week spot, drop it 99 times on one of its stronger spots it won't break, drop it 1 time on its week spot it will, sods law.
Its all down to how you treat it, what about battery leakage,sand or water ingress. Give the same camera to two different people it'll get totally diferrent treatment. Purely down to the diferent projects that person shoots. Accidental damage is a dif matter, they happen.
Nobody can test,define or advise on durability.period.
allant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:53 PM   #9

another person who understands the frailty of man and his toys.

[Edited on 8-15-2002 by sjms]
Old Aug 16, 2002, 1:33 PM   #10

SJMS

Sorry to hurt your feelings. I can tell your very fond of your Dimage. Good for you.

I was speeking overall about the CP5700 - everything has its limitations - I thougt you knew. And I agree with ALLANT, when he say its all subjective - everything is - isnt it !

Okay about the D7i - I read all about it, held it, felt it - took at few photos at the local dealer - No no. I go for the CP5700.

You know - the ultimate digicam isnt available yet. And wont be ever, Im sure. But the D7i is good for you - not for me. Plastic breaks easy, get scratched easy - magnesium does not. And just remember - bottomline: Picturequality. Nobody beats NIKON.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote