Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 14, 2002, 4:12 AM   #1

Default Downloading my photos Nikon 5700

I just bought my Nikon 5700 two weeks ago and have been taking some fantastic photos. My problem now is that I can't seem to download the photos into my computer which is running Windows XP. No software works. I tried Nikon View and it hangs just like a hanger. Anyone can help me?
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2002, 5:28 AM   #2

Sas,
Get a USB card reader, Makes life real easy, always use camera to format card, reader can do it in format not understood by camera. Very few digacam users use the cam to download pics.. Reader runing about $15-$25,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 7:20 AM   #3
gd

The Nikon 5700 comes with a usb cable. Attach this to the camera (with the camera switched off) and computer (with the computer switched on) and then switch the camera on. Windows Xp will detect the Nikon as a new hard drive and you can go into windows explorer and simply click and drag your photos from the camera onto your computer. Always switch off the camera before unplugging the usb cable.
gd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 7:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by gd
The Nikon 5700 comes with a usb cable. Attach this to the camera (with the camera switched off) and computer (with the computer switched on) and then switch the camera on. Windows Xp will detect the Nikon as a new hard drive and you can go into windows explorer and simply click and drag your photos from the camera onto your computer. Always switch off the camera before unplugging the usb cable.
Yes, almost 100% of all new models do, Usb end that goes into cam tends to be flimsy, allows you to keep cam off desk and some good readers that take all cards allow card to card copy. could go on but ....
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 3:00 PM   #5

Default downloading pics onto a Mac

Does anyone know whether the 5700 is compatible with a Mac G4? I have had no trouble using the software that comes with my Canon G1. No need for a card reader. Hope I'll be so lucky if I upgrade to the 5700. USB not a problem but I read in this newsgroup that the computer recognizes the camera as another drive. That makes me wonder... Thanks.
rlipnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:28 PM   #6

Default Nikon support of Macs

As I said in another line of discussion, my 5700 works fine with my Mac G4 running OS X (10.1.5). Without loading any of the Nikon software, I could plug in the USB cable and quickly copy files to my hard disk. Then I loaded Nikon's software and tried it that way. It all works fine.

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:39 PM   #7

Thank you Gordon. Good to know.
Ruth
rlipnick is offline   Reply With Quote