Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 14, 2002, 8:32 AM   #1

Default Nikon 5700 or Sony F707

I'm traveling around the world on a bicycle for an academic and journalistic research project called Agence Future
At the moment I'm using a Nikon FM2 and FM3a with slidefilm or B/W neg. for publication. I also carry a Sony P1 . I have not been very happy with this camera because of it's poor picture quality in low light conditions (No sunshine=no fun) and because I can't change anything manually. At the moment I mainly use the pictures for our website.
We also carry a Sony Vaio laptop so it has been practical to just slot in the Memory Sticks.
But now I'm ready to get a proper digital camera.
I've been looking around at what's on the market and the choice is down to two camera's. The Nikon 5700 and the Sony F707.
I would be naturally more inclined to opt for the Nikon because I use their SLR's and I trust that they make quality lenses (although the F707 comes with a C Zeiss) and because they have good after-sales services. The 5700 seems to have all the features I need (plenty of manual settings) although the Manual focus seems a bit dodgy and adding a filter a bit complicated if at all possible.
The F707 interests me because it also seems a very complete camera and I still have lot's of memory sticks and because I'm using a Vaio. I also realy like the manual focus and the possibilty to add a filter.
I also 'heard' that there are quite a lot of problems with the Nikon software compatibility with Windows 2000.
I wonder why I would need the Nikon software. Can I f.e. use the Compact Flash Card in a PC-card adaptor, slot it in my Vaio and open the pics with PhotoShop? From previous experiences I know that Sony Stuff is generally not so happy to work with other brands. It took me ages trying to connect my Nokia phone via the USB port and in the end the only sollution was to buy a Sony mobile phone.
Still, the most important feature for my new camera would have to be picture quality.
Agence Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:22 AM   #2

Sounds as tho you are travelling light, the Sony has a massive lens and has such has a much larger "footprint" than the Nikon.
Picture qualityof the Nikon is top drawer cant comment on the sony.
I use Nikonview 5 on my windows 2000 pc, no problems.
allant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 2:03 PM   #3

Either should serve you well for your purposes. The Nikon has more optical zoom and takes 1 gigabyte micro-drives, but you already have memorysticks, so probably not a big issue except you will be changing memory sticks often with the F707. Big images small capacity media.

Is there some reason you are hung up on 5 megapixels? There is a marginal difference between the CP4500 and 5700's image quality, but not all that much. The 4500 is much more versatile with adapters. You could carry a 5x OpticZoom and get great shots out to over 700mm or use the TC-E2 to double the 155mm optical native focal length.

I have both the F707 and CP4500 - they are comparable in image quality with the Nikon having a bit more realistic reds and greens without PhotoShop intervention..

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies,
The reason I was thinking about the 5700 rather than the 4500 was not for the 5 megapix . The 4 megapix of the 4500 would be sufficient, the laptop I’m carrying is only 9 Gigabytes so it fills up pretty quickly. ( can you tell me where I could find out more about micro-drives…what’s the price of a 1 Gigabyte ?)
I did think that the 5700 image quality would have been quite a bit superior over the 4500 though. I also really liked the 5700 vieuwfinder ( I shoot a lot of my pics in very sunny places and do not really like LCD screens)…and that the overall feel of it is similar to my SLR’s . I also like the optional AA batterypack with the 5700, although yesterday I’ve read through this website that many other and homemade batterypacks are possible.
Adaptor possibilies are not such an issue, I’m already happy with a focal length between 35-150mm and the 280mm of the 5700 is plenty!
Since the camera is bough by my employer the price difference between the 4500 and the 5700 is not such an issue…..
Looking forward to more comments.
Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:34 PM   #5

IBM makes all the microdrives, but iOmega has an OEM contract and sells them under their own name. I paid $225 for each of my 1 gigabyte drives mail order, I've seen them as low as $179.

The noise level is lower on the 5700 and there is some improvement in image quality, but I doubt you would see any significant difference in an 11x14 print. There is very little difference in large prints between my F707 5 megapixel Sony and my CP4500 4 megapixel Nikon.

As long as you are not using a telephoto adapter, the CP4500 has an optical viewfinder which approximates what the lens sees at various focal lengths. You "can" use the LCD for precise focus, such as for macros or when using a tele or wide angle adapter, but it's not necessary for normal photography.

The battery life on the CP4500 is better than on my CP990 or CP950's which use 4 AA's or rechargeable NmH AA's. For long and serious use, I use the Eagle Eye Dual-Force Pro PowerPack which has 5000mAh capacity and will power the CP4500 for well over 1500 images with the LCD on continuously. You can get the Dual-Force through Eagle Eye for a price of about $116 U.S. plus a small amount for shipping. It comes with the necessary cable and charger, and you can also get an inexpensive belt pouch to carry the external battery. This same PowerPack can be used with the 5700. Here's a link if you would like to take a look:

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com

Lin
Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:36 AM   #6

Hi Lin,
Thanks for the tips. I'll be traveling in Australia and the USA during the next 5 months. It is a little bit complicated to order goods since I do not have a fixed adress. Do you know if your powerpack or anything similar to it is available in San Fransisco?
Sounds like your still trying to talk me into the 4500....and I'm still doubting.
I like to frame my pictures precisely though and I always had trouble with the rangefinder types. Can you attach filters or a lenshood to the 4500?
Thanks,
AF
Old Aug 15, 2002, 6:35 AM   #7
NHL

FYI

The AA NiMh packs more twice the power of EN-EL1:
Quote:
o 1.225 x 4 x 1.8 = 8.82 Wh for the 4 AA’s
o 1.225 x 6 x .65 = 4.78 Wh for the EN-EL1

This shows available power to be about a bit less than double...
With the microdrive one is locked to an external battery pack, but not with cheap NiMh!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...ad.php?tid=892
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 8:40 AM   #8

I'm not sure whether there are any over-the-counter battery packs availabe in the San Francisco area.

I'm really not trying to "talk you into" a CP4500, just curious about the motivation for the 5 megapixel decision.

You can attach any peripheral which screws into the 28mm filter thread. Of couse when you have a wide angle or telephoto attached, the viewfinder is no longer useful and you must, of necessity, use the LCD screen. Usually a sunshade is recommended. For the CP4500 there is presently one under development, but it's a month or more away from production, so this may be an issue.

Best regards,

Lin

[Edited on 8-15-2002 by Lin Evans]
Old Aug 15, 2002, 1:28 PM   #9

Default Nikon CP5700 vs. CP4500

Hi.......I have a dilemma with my CP990.......Good Guys have sent it to a repair shop 4 weeks ago......After calling to get the status, that repair shop gave up and have sent it to an "authorized Nikon repair" somewhere (East Coast?)....Now they say 4 to 6 weeks more! That totals to 2-1/2 months......They do not have a Nikon loaner, so I am not too happy. I am a Canon (FT-era) person, but have fallen in love wit the CP990........I use the CP990 for my photos for my job........Now I am 4 weeks into this waiting and am looking at another possible 6 weeks. Time is now for another CP. I really use the "twist" feature of the CP990- for shooting engine shots with our HoseTechniques.com colored silicone vacuum hoses. Any other camera brand just does not cut it!

I see thet the CP4500 has good ratings and there is no reason to go to the CP5700. Can someone enlighten me to which camera to get?

I must persuade Good Guys to upgrade me (seems impossible) or just get a new Nikon and wait for the CP990 to be repaired and keep for a second camera.

Any advice is dearly welcome quickly since I need a replacement camera immediately.

Thank you,

Luckey (not so lucky).......
Luckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:20 PM   #10

Default 4500

Hi Luckey,

I really can't say enough good things about the CP4500. It's versatile, has lots of accessories, great in low light and the colour accuracy is fantastic!

It's a great camera!

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckey
Hi.......I have a dilemma with my CP990.......Good Guys have sent it to a repair shop 4 weeks ago......After calling to get the status, that repair shop gave up and have sent it to an "authorized Nikon repair" somewhere (East Coast?)....Now they say 4 to 6 weeks more! That totals to 2-1/2 months......They do not have a Nikon loaner, so I am not too happy. I am a Canon (FT-era) person, but have fallen in love wit the CP990........I use the CP990 for my photos for my job........Now I am 4 weeks into this waiting and am looking at another possible 6 weeks. Time is now for another CP. I really use the "twist" feature of the CP990- for shooting engine shots with our HoseTechniques.com colored silicone vacuum hoses. Any other camera brand just does not cut it!

I see thet the CP4500 has good ratings and there is no reason to go to the CP5700. Can someone enlighten me to which camera to get?

I must persuade Good Guys to upgrade me (seems impossible) or just get a new Nikon and wait for the CP990 to be repaired and keep for a second camera.

Any advice is dearly welcome quickly since I need a replacement camera immediately.

Thank you,

Luckey (not so lucky).......

Ben Hoog. is offline   Reply With Quote