Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:30 PM   #1

Default Nikon P7000 with Nissin Di866 Mark II

I'm really sick and tired of my YN-560 with P7000. I'm really tensed when I'm taking photo's coz I have to manually enter flash levels + zoom to the YN-560 throughout changing lightning conditions and distance to subject.

Anyway, I want to buy a powerful TTL flash for my Nikon P7000 under 300USD... so the Nissin Di866 Mark II comes to mind. I already HAVE a Nissin Di622 Mark II which is apparently not working with the P7000 in TTL mode (works only in Manual mode).

My question is will the di866 Mark II fire in TTL mode with the P7000? or will it be a pain in the neck like Di622 Mark II and ask me to use manual mode which I'm trying to avoid!!!

Photo 1 : Over exposed - Lowers level
Photo 2 : Under exposed - Increases Level
Photo 3 : Fine Exposure! P7000 goes out of focus!!!! Nooooooooo
Photo 4 : Fine Focus, YN-560 misfires!!! Dash the whole thing on the ground....

A day to day scenario of my photography life :'(

Edit : I don't want the SB-400... I'm looking for a very powerful flash because at times I need to cover stage events.

Last edited by chirantha7777; Oct 29, 2011 at 10:01 PM.
chirantha7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:15 AM   #2

What about an SB-600 replaced by the SB-700 or the SB-800 replaced by the SB-900? Sigma and Metz also have Nikon compatible offerings. Metz even has a potato masher model if you want to take the paint off the walls!
http://www.metz.de/en/flash-units.html
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/flashes
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:16 AM   #3

I hasten to add to check the guide number for an indication of the flash power. There will be one for feet and one for meters at a specific ISO. Divide guide number by distance to get f/stop or divide guide number by f/stop to get expected range for that ISO.

Last edited by Bob Nichol; Oct 30, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:56 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirantha7777 View Post
My question is will the di866 Mark II fire in TTL mode with the P7000? or will it be a pain in the neck like Di622 Mark II and ask me to use manual mode which I'm trying to avoid!!!
According to the Compatibility chart for that flash, it is not compatible with any of the Nikon Compact camera models. So, you'd probably have the same problems you're seeing with your Di622 Mark II (which is also not compatible with your camera).

http://nissin.weblogs.jp/download/Ni...Chart_rev2.pdf

I'd suggest sticking the camera manufacturer's flash choices, making sure your camera is listed as as supported model.

But, if you want to look at a third party option, you may want to look at some of the compatible Metz models. If you go to this page, you can select a camera brand and model and click on a search button to get flash recommendations.

http://www.metz.de/en/flash-units.html

Then, if you go that route, make sure to update the flash model to the latest firmware for better compatibility with more cameras. You can search for firmware updates by selecting a flash model on that same page.

Here are the current Metz recommendations for flash models compatible with your P7000 that I see when I use their search feature. They also had a couple of more powerful Handle Mount flashes listed if you scrolled down further (requiring the correct SCA Module/Foot for your hotshoe to connect to the flash via a cable, which would require that you make sure it's a newer version with the correct firmware, whereas most of their newer shoe mount models have user upgradeable firmware via a USB connection to a PC).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote