Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Dig

Default Nikon S8200

I am looking for a p&s for a gift and came across the S8200. The specs seem pretty good.

I like the zoom length, video specs look good, not so worried about the megapixels.

Anyone had any experience with this camera? Would you recommend it or is there a better choice in the same price range?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:33 PM   #2

Default Nikon S8200

Dig,

Just picked mine up (red) at Costco this weekend (see my recent post). I've read the manual that comes on a CD (pdf file) and played with the settings and features. I read every review on the web and chose this camera for 2 key features that I could not get together on any other camera in this price range, namely selective color (Canon calls it Color Accent) and easy panorama (Sony calls it Seep Panorama). I plan to take some shots with it soon, but so far it more than meets my expectations, plus I love the slightly larger size. Contrary to to most reviews which beat it up for the flash placement, I find no issues with the it. If you pay attention there is plenty of room behind the flash for your finger and a pop up flash is far superior from a red-eye reduction/elimination perspective. Yeah, you have to shut off the camera to hide the flash but no big deal. You get a lot with this camera. Plenty of features, great wide angle and zoom, nice size and rubberized finish, beautiful display and in my humble opinion, the easiest menu system of them all. The shutter button and mode dial placements are correct and intuitive. All in all I think it's a winner, but of course only time will tell. I take extreme care of all my photo gear so if something goes wrong it will be the camera not it's caretaker.

I hope this helps you with your decision. Best of luck!!

L'duck <><

Abraham Lincoln
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)
locoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:24 PM   #3

Dig,

If you want to see some sample S8200 pics, look at my post entitled 'Coolpix S8200'.

Creating art from life's images....

L'duck <><

Abraham Lincoln
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)
locoduck is offline   Reply With Quote