Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:32 PM   #1

Default Nikon 5700 Filter Question

I am strongly leaning towards the Nikon 67mm filter set, as the price is good considering what you get. I also have a TC-E15ED
1.5X extender which uses 58mm lenses. Does anyone know if you can get a 58-67mm step ring, so that I may use the filters on the TC-E15ED.

Second question, what are your opinions of Tiffen filters, they seem cheap enough I could just buy a 58mm for the extender. I just don't want to put a cheaply made product in front of a good lens, but not looking to waste money either.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 4:27 AM   #2

Default Re: Nikon 5700 Filter Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1957
I am strongly leaning towards the Nikon 67mm filter set, as the price is good considering what you get. I also have a TC-E15ED 1.5X extender which uses 58mm lenses. Does anyone know if you can get a 58-67mm step ring, so that I may use the filters on the TC-E15ED.
Take a look at the "Filter Adapter Tubes" in the "Filters" section of my 5700 user guide before commit to the Nikon 67mm tube.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:44 AM   #3

Great website, lots of info thanks. I can see that the Bernies 72mm adapter would be a simple solution as I already own the URE8 adapter. My concern is the price of 72mm filters, they are drastically more expensive than the 67mm ones. Are there any brands you can recomend. I see Nikon circular polarizers for $90+
Tiffens for $65, etc. Don't know which ones are good quality and which are cheap. No point in putting a cheaply made filter in front of a $1200 camera.

The primary filter I am interested is the polarizer as I take allot of photo's in the Everglades and the Beach and would like to cut the reflections down. It wouldn't hurt to try the UV filter also, but wondering if it makes much difference on a digital camera. I used to leave one on my Konica T3 all the time, and saw a difference there, but have heard mixed reviews on how much it does on a digital.

The neutral density filters in the Nikon set would be nice once in awhile, but can't say that I need them.

I appreciate your input.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:33 PM   #4

Quote:
My concern is the price of 72mm filters, they are drastically more expensive than the 67mm ones. Are there any brands you can recomend. I see Nikon circular polarizers for $90+ Tiffens for $65, etc. Don't know which ones are good quality and which are cheap. No point in putting a cheaply made filter in front of a $1200 camera.
The Nikon 72mm polarizer is a very unique one. See the "Lens Hoods" page in the "Converter Lenses" section for an image of it. You might want to consider Hoya if you need a cheaper one. There are a number of Hoya polarizers, some are multicoated and some are thin (or slim). Choose one that can fit your need and your budget. Other good ones are made by B+W and Heliopen. You don't need a Nikon polarizer.

Quote:
It wouldn't hurt to try the UV filter also, but wondering if it makes much difference on a digital camera.
Digicams are not as sensitive to UV rays as films are. But, a good UV will increase contrast and remove some bluish cast when you need it.

Quote:
The neutral density filters in the Nikon set would be nice once in awhile, but can't say that I need them.
In fact, square gradual ND filters are move flexible than the circular ones. Try the cheaper Cokin gradual ND.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:52 PM   #5

Thank you so much both for your time and for the info.

Jim
Old Feb 8, 2004, 2:11 AM   #6

Default Test of the TC-E15ED with the Hoyas filters or Cokins.

Hi,
I did tests on a photographic sighting of the TC-E15ED with and without filter, the result is without call, it is not necessary to bring up filters owing this teleconverter, there is a loss of quality. Nothing serves to buy optics of quality, if it is to bring up filters that are by definition, of bad optic.
Maxime is offline   Reply With Quote