Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:03 AM   #11

Still questions about it will handle the Nikon Speedlight flashes? I would have also like to seen image stablization with more zoom. I will not upgrade my 5700 to this model. Not enough improvements that I can see from Steve's first look.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:42 AM   #12

Default I'm with you Gibson

It is just a crying shame that there are so many knee jerk reactions by manufacturers to throw in patchwork changes.

Build the Darn cameras so they can benefit from retrofitting and charge a reasonable fee.

Once a year disposable cameras in the Hundreds of dollars, doesn't sit well with me at all.
It has pushed me away from Nikon. Not because of quality overall, but their mindless, desperate grabbing of more profits for theirselves.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 8:44 AM   #13

If It moves - Shoot it
if it doesn't - Shoot it twice !!

if it shake??? shoot yourself...???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

which company strategic plan that doesn't want to make profit?...
strange...life is tough... :?
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:45 PM   #14

I'm so close to getting into the whole Digital Camera thing but was curious on how long a typical review takes from Steve? Please don't flame me as I guess now that I have the money I'm just ready to get a camera. I was looking at the 5700 but if the review is good I may step up to an 8700. Is it typically a 2 week thing or more or less?

Thanks
hattrik21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 8:35 PM   #15
Administrator

Our Coolpix 8700 First Look was done with a pre-production camera, Nikon says we'll get one with "close to final firmware" sometime soon and then we can do the sample images and etc. But it will also be right in the middle of the PMA show (Feb 12-15) and we will be busy and in Las Vegas for a week so I am not sure exactly when we'll post the finished review. It doesn't matter because you can't buy one for a while yet anyway so be patient...

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 4:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Our Coolpix 8700 First Look was done with a pre-production camera, Nikon says we'll get one with "close to final firmware" sometime soon and then we can do the sample images and etc. But it will also be right in the middle of the PMA show (Feb 12-15) and we will be busy and in Las Vegas for a week so I am not sure exactly when we'll post the finished review. It doesn't matter because you can't buy one for a while yet anyway so be patient...

-Steve
Thank you for the update Sir.
TheeBadOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 2:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve

-Steve
Thank you for the update Sir.
Yes Thanks for the update. As long as I can get it by the beginning of April I'll be happy.
hattrik21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 1:33 AM   #18

its optics, optics, and optics. :shock:
iluvnickyandbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 1:16 PM   #19

Default Re: Ya Gotta Love'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setiprime
I 've been struggling with the 5700 for a few months now and have got it about under control.

Now Nikon comes along with a "New" 8700.
Same body
Same external controls
Same lens

New-
Low Light assist flash
8 Mp.
Software (Firmware) driven processing to speed things up.

Pretty much SAME everything else !!

All things they could have provided in their original CoolPics 5700.

The sad part is that there will be new users that fall for it and believe it is a answer to all the P&S problems.

I sit here with a suddenly out of date piece of equipment, after being told that the 5700 was the Flagship of Nikons P&S quality of Cameras. Sure doesn't build my confidence in their product much.

Complaining - you bet !! I worked awfully hard for the money I spent. Now they throw a Limp carrot out to attract new buyers.
I feel your pain and am also irritated with Nikon .... in my case due to their decision to release the D70 in form that is actually superior in almost every area to the D100 I just bought.

I don't understand why Nikon would leapfrog their own camera .

What really amazes me is that they are planning on selling the D70 for $500 less than the D100 knowing it's the inferior camera to the D70 now by the Techs own admission (As I spoke to Nikon)

No upgrade path as of yet for D100 ... no price drop ... nothing . Just less for more $$$.

Call me naive but this seems like a stupid plan that elicits just the same kind of response as yours and mine . And I assume many others as the tech told me they'd received many many calls like mine since the announcement of the D70 and preliminary specs.

It just makes no sense when you introduce what is supposed to be a base model Dslr , in the D70's case for 1/3 the price of the supposedly next up the pole model , with all and more features and very comparable (Almost identical) build quality.

I spent more for the D100 because I thought the D70 would be inferior .... now I feel like I've been bamboozled.
PetreTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 6:32 PM   #20

Default Did Nikon (unlike Sony)do 8mp in a 2/3 sensor the right way?

I’m with Peter, I want to see if squeezing 8 mp into a 2/3” (8.80 x 6.60 mm) sensor brought the noise up to an unacceptable level like in the Sony. If so, I might gravitate back toward the smaller 6mp, but significantly larger (23.7 x 15.5 mm Nikon , 22.7 mm x 15.1 mm Canon) sensors in the entry level DSLR. Perhaps Sony over did it wrong with their “4-color Super HAD CCD imager” , maybe that 4th color is the culprit for the imager being to noisy. I suppose the PMA show is like Disneyland for Steve. Still, I can’t wait for him to get back and do some detailed tests of a production Nikon 8700 (perhaps the D70 as well, for that matter).
Patrickfromva is offline   Reply With Quote