Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 2, 2004, 3:02 PM   #1

Default Just bought a D100 in time to hear the hype .... now what ?

:evil:

Just bought a D100 about 3 weeks ago and out comes all the hype on the new D70 which , unlike Canon who didn't screw current customers ... Nikon decides to make a completely feature rich camera that's better than a supposedly higher model ... which of course means the value of my camera will no doubt drop like a rock and @#$! it's inferior too!

Now lets add insult to injury and sell it for $500 less and offer a deal on a new DX lens that I'd have to pay 500 for that new purchasers of D70's will get for $300

What kind of move is this?!? :evil:

Was Nikon doing so poorly that they'd slap all their current users's in the face ?

I'm pissed and may return my D100 and all lenses on pricipal alone and go with Canon !

Discuss please .... What am I missing here ?
PetreTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2004, 3:43 PM   #2
NHL

... It's just poor timing that's all! The D70 has clearly both the Digital Rebel and 10D as target (offering better features for slighly more and undercutting the other)... and has less to do with the D100. BTW have you seen all thoses $300 rebates from the other manufacturers? :P

Who know by the time you switch over to Canon, they'll @#$! again with a newer and cheaper camera as well... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 4:02 PM   #3

Default Just got off the phone with Nikon ....

Just got off the phone with Nikon ....

Was told I should wait til it comes out .... (Played dumb like I didn't own a D100 yet)

I was told the D70 will definately have more features ... advances in Firmware , Advanced writing capability .... advances and more advances .

He said the D100 was a 2 year old design and I said .... AND?!? Why screw your D100 owners ? Will there be an upgrade path ? Price drop , what makes one better or IS the D100 in any way better .... NO NO NO NO .....

I just don't get this method.

If I keep it My D100 is now worth 2/3rds what I just paid.

I asked if there was anything that made the D100 better AT ALL .... He leaves and then comes back telling me it has a vertical shutter release , voice memo and the ability to add 2 batteries .....

I said .... isn't all those things an optional accessory ?

He says .... oh yeah , Yes you need to add the MB100 (or some such ) accesory ...... AND SPEND EVEN MORE MONEY !!!

Maybe I'm over reacting , but I'm angry .

When I bought the D100 I knew they were coming out with the D70 .... but never in my wioldest dreams did I think it woul;d be a superior camera for $500 less .

WAY TO GO NIKON .... BRILLIANT MOVE.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 10:40 PM   #4

<sigh> Would you blame a car manufacturer if you bought a 2003 model car when the brand new 2004 models were about to roll out? Bad timing, but if you already knew that the D70 was coming out, why didn't you wait a bit more to learn what it was all about?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:04 AM   #5

Call me foolish , but I never thought they would leapfrog the more expensive model D100 , with the much cheaper entry DSLR model D70 . I can only imagine now at this point that the D100's will come way down in price.

I thought they would put the camera squarely in the middle between the Canon300D/Rebel and D100 .... You know .... similar to what Canon did with the 300D/Rebel compared to the 10D . Rather than give consumers a superior camera to their own 10D and slap current users in the face.

It's not like they were coming out with a new D100 ..... this is the D70 entry model , remember ? What now .... do they sell the inferior D100 for less than the D70 , or continue to rip off unsuspecting purchasers/owners

Did you think for a moment that the D70 would be better than your D100 for $500+ less ? With no perceivable limitations to it ?

I certainly did not.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 5:24 PM   #6

I heard rumors that Nikon would introduce a camera to counter the D-Rebel, perhaps a replacement for the D100, and the long awaited D2x. Perhaps at PMA Nikon will bring out the remaining two DSLR's missing in the line-up. No I did not think the D70 would outperform the D100, but I also didn't think Nikon would've sat still and just match the D-Rebel. When I bought my Olympus E-10 it cost $1999, then a year and a half later the E-20 came out and cost the same for more features. Did I regret having bought the E-10? Never! I went on using the E-10 for nearly 3 years before I gave it to my sister and purchased the D100. Got plenty of use out of the E-10, and have since gotten even MORE use out of my D100. It has paid for itself several times over, allowing me to purchase more lenses and add a film body to my repertoir. When you purchased the D100 did you not enjoy how it fit in your hands and the way it handled? Or the beautiful images it can capture? Well, if you really dislike the camera so much, maybe you can still return it and pay a nominal restocking fee, then wait for the D70 to become available in the spring. If you always want to play catch-up and have the latest and greatest you'll never be satisfied with what you have. I believe Sheryl Crow summed it up in one of her songs: "It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you got" or something of that sort.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the response Marokero .....

In my case , this was a camera that I'd just bought and not even really used yet.

I'd considered the Canon Rebel and 10D over the D100 . I knew Nikon was going to be coming out with the D70 but assumed it would be slightly inferior to the D100 (My mistake)

I'm not a pro (That much is probably obvious), simply a novice that wants to make this a serious hobby and stepped up to the Dslr's from the all in one digital's I'd been using (My most recent being a Sony S85 )

I wanted a camera that would be cutting edge for atleast a few months , thought that was the D100 .

After further consideration , reading the various reviews (Including a suprisingly and extremely in depth one from DPReview considering the camera is not yet released that compares the two head to head) .... I've decided the D70 is more for me and my level of skill , with it's automatic features as well as it's ability to take an astounding 144 pics non stop .... the first 17 at 3fps , then 1.5fps there after which should work wonderfully for me taking sports shots.

I returned the D100 yesterday and was the first to order the D70 which they'd just gotten stock numbers for that same day.

Dilemma diverted in my case.