Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 2, 2004, 4:01 PM   #1

Default Just got off the phone with Nikon

Just got off the phone with Nikon ....

Was told I should wait til it comes out .... (Played dumb like I didn't own a D100 yet)

I was told the D70 will definately have more features ... advances in Firmware , Advanced writing capability .... advances and more advances .

He said the D100 was a 2 year old design and I said .... AND?!? Why screw your D100 owners ? Will there be an upgrade path ? Price drop , what makes one better or IS the D100 in any way better .... NO NO NO NO ..... :evil:

I just don't get this method.

If I keep it My D100 is now worth 2/3rds what I just paid.

I asked if there was anything that made the D100 better AT ALL .... He leaves and then comes back telling me it has a vertical shutter release , voice memo and the ability to add 2 batteries ..... :?

I said .... isn't all those things an optional accessory ?

He says .... oh yeah , Yes you need to add the MB100 (or some such ) accesory ...... AND SPEND EVEN MORE MONEY !!! :evil:

Maybe I'm over reacting , but I'm pissed .

When I bought the D100 I knew they were coming out with the D70 .... but never in my wioldest dreams did I think it woul;d be a superior camera for $500 less .

WAY TO GO NIKON .... BRILLIANT MOVE.
PetreTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2004, 4:02 PM   #2

Default OOOPS

Sorry this was meant as a reply in another thread .
Old Feb 2, 2004, 7:30 PM   #3

Dude

I have a lot of sympathy for you, but , reality, i can't do "jack' for you, or anyone here will have time to babysit you...

Stop waisting you time and whinning like a baby, take the camera and go shoot pictures and enjoy life, okie...If you don't think you can do that, then return the freaking camera and wait to buy the new D70.

It's always your choice when you decide to buy the camera, Nikon didn't force you to do so, so what they do with their strategic plan, I'm sure they already take in the considerations of measurement for market reactions, but then, life goes on, and still good...

By the way, even through the old D100 does have the newfeatures and technology, it's still consider in a better class, and better material built, Viewfinder is Pentaprism instead of Pentamirror...

D70 has a new welcome feature from the F5, the 3D matrix 1005 segments metrting system...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:14 AM   #4

Ahhh thank you for the thoughtful comments .

I doubt anyone here thought the D70 would be superior in just about every way to the D100 for $500 less as well. IMO it's a bad move by Nikon that does not inspire brand loyalty.

Again ... thank you for your very mature response . I'm sure my attack on you deserved such .

BTW ... the guy at Nikon said they have been flooded with calls like mine and are still trying to formulate a response.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:42 AM   #5

This happens with so many products... there really isn't anything that can be done. I would rather they regularly release better products at cheaper prices on a regular basis. Than keep prices high so the older models retain value.

You do realize that the price of a new car drop by about 1/4-1/3 the instant you drive it out of the dealer? And no "new" model has even been released? You realize that you buy a computer and then Intel releases their new processor sooner because of pressure from AMD (and this is a good thing) and the "Value" of your computer drops by about 20%. The value of that processor is now lower because of the newer one.

It is the way of the world. One thing to remember, though, is that good glass (lenses) retain their value fairly well. I might balk at spending $7,000 on a 600mm f4, but the reality is that I could resell it for about $5-6000 5 years later if I don't like it. Sure, it's still a lot of money (and it's gaining no interest other than my enjoyment & pictures) but it will retain more value than a 5 year old camera body, 5 year old computer or 5 year old car.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 1:38 PM   #6

I can understand what your saying , but this is apples and oranges .

We're not talking depreciation here , nor an improved/updated model , we're talking about Nikion currently selling an inferior model for more money.

A better example would be

Chevy has say the current Malibu SS and then they introduce a Malibu (non SS) that has the same engine & transmission (Only with an updated ECU to squeeze a few more HP out of it) , same suspension , stereo , paint work and just about every other feature , fixes all the nigly's in it that are currently on the Malibu SS ....... the procedes to sell it for 2/3rds the price to compete with the Dodge 300M while continuing to sell the now inferior Malibu SS for more money . Leaving the naive or uninformed public to believe the SS is superior , where in fact it is not.

That type of move / moves is what puts companies out of business as repeat customers leave for brands they feel they can trust.

Like I said ... I just don't get this move.

I've read no less than 3 professional reviews/previews and all are saying the same thing .... the lessor D70 looks to be the better.

Could you feel the same if Canon introduced the Rebel / 300D and it was using all the same parts , except those that were improved upon , was built to the same level of quality , and all the slight irritations about the 10D were fixed . And then to add insult to injury ... they proceded to sell it for $899 ?

We're not talking computers here , wherein everyone knows the technology is moving so fast that the superior stuff is already in the works as models are released.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 2:11 PM   #7
NHL

Quote:
Could you feel the same if Canon introduced the Rebel / 300D and it was using all the same parts , except those that were improved upon , was built to the same level of quality , and all the slight irritations about the 10D were fixed . And then to add insult to injury ... they proceded to sell it for $899 ?
Not at the same price point but there's precedents: it happened when Canon released their D30 -> D60 -> 10D each better model than the previous @ lower cost with the 10D in less than a year time!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 3:10 PM   #8

Most of the new features and technologies built in the D70 are driven by software, since the cost of A&D are already in progress and paid for, they do not contribute heavy weight on the final cost of the product, and because of the D70 body material is plastic, not polycarbonate material, the final cost is resulted in much lower price. But this lower MRSP will not stop there, until this camera hits the market, I believe it will adjusted itself as lower price to compete with the Canon Digital Rebel or the 300D. NHL is absolutely right about the Canon 10Dís price compare two previous models. The Canon 10D has a metal body (magnesium alloy) compare to polycarbonate body materials on both of the D30 and D60, much better software to provide faster AF and other useful features, but at its $1,499 price, almost $1,400 less than the original price on the D30 and $800 less than the D60 and so you know how were those D30/60 owners feel at that time. In the case of the D70, donít feel bad about you are being cheated for the price you paid for the D100 in compare to the D70, even though, the D70 has much welcome features and technologies than the D100, the D100 is still consider as the better class camera itself, with better body construction including much better viewfinder than the D70 as I pointed out on my previous post. So, the D70 is probably is the best-buy for the money, not necessarily a better value or a better camera. Remember, you will feel the difference right away when you first hold the camera in your hand, I felt it right away when I first hold the Canon 300D (made in Taiwan) compare to the 10D (made in Japan)

As time passing by, you need to manage your time better, take the camera out and shoot pictures. Better features and technologies do not make you a better photographer, but a lot of practice does. After all, it is just a tool, learn how to use your tool better is the ultimate goal. Donít feel offended by my last post; Iím just wanting you to know the reality that weíre all facing, whining about that does not help. Just take action, itís your money so spend it the way you see it fits best. If you still have the option to return the camera, then do it, if not and you still want to get the D70, sell it to get the cash, you may loose some money due to that but itís the cost of doing business. D70 is not going to be available for sometimes, at least until next month.

Life is wonderfulÖ.
8) 8) 8)
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Most of the new features and technologies built in the D70 are driven by software, since the cost of A&D are already in progress and paid for, they do not contribute heavy weight on the final cost of the product, and because of the D70 body material is plastic, not polycarbonate material, the final cost is resulted in much lower price.
That simply is not true .

There is a long list of features that are significant that have nothing at all to do with Software . And the Camera is made of Poly Carbonate same as the D100.

Features/changes/improvements not software related:

-Reports are the CCD is a newer and improved Sony version. 6.24mp sensor
-New Mode dial with 7 functions added (Full Auto & 6 scene settings Admittedly these are software driven)
-New LCD with 1.8"screen , 130,000 pixels (Up from 118 Kpixels)
-New function button access for quicker more intuitive use of critical functions like WB , ISO and Quality settings)
- New Mech/electronic shutter capable of 30 - 1/8000 shutter speeds (D100 capable of 1/4000)
- Metering - 3D matrix, 1005 pixel (Up from the 10 segment one used on the D100)
- Ability to shoot continuously for 144 shots the first 17 at 3fps then 1.5 there after thanks to new electronics that buffer and read and right much more efficiently.
- ability to use off the shelf batteries in a pinch
-mirror lock up that does not require a seperate ac adapter for cleaning the ccd

Add to this a host of software upgrades and you have a camera IMO that put right all the things wrong with the D100 that made VERY few compromises. AT $500 Less .

It's all irellevant at this point as I returned my D100 and ordered a D70 WITH NEW DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens
AND a SB800 Speedlight

Cost me about $200 more :P
Old Feb 4, 2004, 2:30 PM   #10

I'm anxious to see the D70's tests. photos, and price.

TheeBadOne is offline   Reply With Quote