Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:25 PM   #11

I like to share my experience with my new 5700. Bought it from circuitcity.com, it arrived last week. When the first time I turned it on and tried to shoot some pics indoor, the flash won't work. Tried different settings, and the red dot with SB blinks. After a couple hours research.. I realized this is a common errors on this camera.. I was so disappointed reading this... Anyone else have the same issue?
msapute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 11:56 AM   #12

Msapute,
Don't get discouraged YET.

Please remember that this camera has a higher level of complication and requires a person to read the book more than once. I *should* have read the book before I posted that question on the clicking noise. However, problem was easily solved by great contributors in this forum. Let's look up in the book what "flashing SB light means". It means "speedlight is recharging". Page 168.This happens to all kinds of cameras and it's not an error.

About your flash not working, there's got to be a reason. Have you got the flash enabled? Have you got your finger holding down the pop up? Are you in a room with enough light that the flash isn't triggered? What user settings for the flash do you have and/or are you using automatic for exposure control? There is a reason. Look on page 166 under "speedlight does not fire" in the troubleshooting section. If the answer isn't there, come on back to the forum.

My advice for any new gizmo (learned the hard way): sit down for an afternoon and try things out that you want to do with it. read the book, read it again. Leave the book somewhere like the coffee table for a month so you can pick it up now and then and learn something new. give yourself time.

So far, I am pretty happy with the camera but I still have lots to learn.
good luck,
CC
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:44 PM   #13

Thanks coolcat,

I have fully charged the battery, and the flash did not work at all and won't take picture. What I found from other forum that this is a common flaw in CP 5700. Several people have returned it to Nikon to be serviced.

I went ahead and exchange the camera, and it's working fine now. I hope this won't happen again in the future. If anyone in this forum has the same issue, please let me know as I'm surprised how many people have experienced the same issue.
msapute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:56 AM   #14

to gibsonpd3620 and all

Im getting ready to order the Tcon 17 and Bernie adapter, but was doing a little research.....The Tcon seems to be a 55mm thread but I dont see that size on the Bernie adapter. Do I need a further adapter, or am I just being stupid :shock: :?

Also do you have a good source on the filters you suggested? And what size you use? Also, I know you said something about a 22 speedlight, can you suggest a comparable model, as I dont seem to be able to locate one of those
Hamner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 7:43 PM   #15

Hamner

If you want to attach a Olympus TCON17 or B300 lens to the UR-E8 use this 55mm thread adaptor.

UR-E8 to 55mm thread adaptor (Part # NP0027)

Sting
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 11:37 PM   #16

Actually I want to attach the Tcon17 to the NP0104

edit:
NM I did a little more reading and see that you need a NP0024 to attach the Tcon17 to the NP0104
Hamner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:53 AM   #17

Default 5700

Chech your private mail.

Sting
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:42 AM   #18

well i took the plunge and got the 5700 over the new minolta z2....
one thing thats worrys me the focus motors seem abit noisey when focusing went back to the shop tride 3 more 5700 did the same..nice camera got it to take a photo in my kitchen in compleat darkness...whata camera
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 4:56 PM   #19

Something is wrong with the link

JIm
jleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 11:31 AM   #20

Do a 'search' in 'this forum only' under 'low lightshooting'. I think the article you are looking for is by Larry Loo about the 5th one down.

Sting