Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 5, 2004, 3:46 PM   #1

Default New Nikon 5700 owner/noob

I just purchased a new Nikon 5700 (not here yet even) and was wondering what others were using in the way of flashes, bags, memory, and etc.

Also any tips and the like would be greatly appreciated as my previous exp. with digital cameras was a Sony 850(?) disk camera.
Hamner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:26 AM   #2

I have two 256mb CF cards, one by Viking and the other is Lexar. I use an Nikon Speelite SB22s. I have the Olympus Tcon 17 teleconver. I use the Bernie Heinz adapter, here is the link

http://www.nextphoto.net/

I have a Hoya UV and Circular Polarizer filter. I use a camera bag that I bought at Target. It is an Eddie Bauer video cam bag. It has three adjustable interior pocket and three exterior pockets. It holds all my camera stuff. I also have 5 batteries. I purchased the extra batteries off Ebay. Do a search for EL-EN1. The third party batteries work as well as the one that came with the camera. Have fun with your camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 5:34 PM   #3

Default Yay

Believe it or not, that is EXACTLY the type of reply I am looking for. Thank you sir. I hope to be an asset myself to this board someday

Edit: Are you refering to this numered adapter NP0104?
Hamner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 7:05 PM   #4

Your Welcome and yes that is the adapter that I have. It slides back and forth as you zoom in and out the camera.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:30 PM   #5

Default owner/noob

Hamner-

I use a "Targus" backpack still bag ([email protected])
It holds my Nikon 5700, the Nikon adapter, sunshade, and Nikon Tele lens. Also my wifes Kodak 6490, all extra batts. and my Magneflash 57 external flash.

It has an outside pocket for a water bottle, and a Cel phone pocket on the shoulder strap.

We shoot a lot of Wildlife stuff and the muted color of the bag works for us out in the field. also handy when you are walking distances. Nothing more irritating then re-adjusting a "Shoulder" bag every 10 steps or so -

For what it's worth
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:02 AM   #6

Gibsonpd and others,
First, thanks for always having some insightful replies in this forum.

I am also a newbie to the 5700 hence putting this question in this thread.

I took my time researching & comparing and decided on the 5700. Yes, I heard that the autofocus in low light needs more time. I thought all the features were what I was looking for, paired with the size - very nice. I just can't lug an SLR anymore.

My question; my camera seems to be making a noticable amount of noise. The noise can be discribed as "chick chick chick" and it comes and goes. I think it's the autofocus mechanism. It is not the noise of the zoom going in and out. It does not make noise while in "review" mode of the photos.

Is this normal? I can hear it in a quiet room. The noise is there when I put the camera down on a table and leave it there. I would think the autofocus would stabilize and the noise would stop after it focused on an object.

I also removed my flash card and it was still making the noise so I think its the autofocus. Does everybody's 5700 make this noise? I need some reassurance. thanks guys!!! :?

CC
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 2:31 PM   #7

Coolcat,
Yes this is normal. It is as you suspect, the autofocus. You can stop this by selecting single focus in the setup. This noise is especially irritating if you use the movie clip, the mic picks up the clicking sound.
Gordon
CADman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 2:47 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply!! I had this awful feeling of dread that either there was something mechanically wrong with my particular camera or this camera has some behavior that I did not like.

In between my post and your answer, I found out more about it in the book, have set to "single af focus" .vs. "continuous" and no more noise. Much relief.

Since then, I have done lots of experimenting and I find this camera so much fun to mess around with. I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out the focus behavior, many times deciding the camera does a much better job of focusing than I do. I also get great results with the pop up flash in terms of distance and coverage. I may not have to get an add-on flash. We'll see.

So far, no regrets.

thanks again!

CC

Old Mar 2, 2004, 3:35 PM   #9

This is a link that discusses the 5700 and low light settings:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=15342
Old Mar 2, 2004, 3:42 PM   #10

hello Gibsonpd, thanks so much for that.

I think I came across that in a previous 5700 topic when I was trying to decide on buying the camera. You may have even been the one to post it. There's alot of good info and I printed it out for reference.

regards,
CC