Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 6, 2013, 1:19 PM   #1

Default Another D300s or do D7100?

I am in a conundrum. As an animal photographer - both candid portraits and action/sports, I obviously have a need for speed. I live by the 70-200mm 28 lens.

Now, my current D300s is nearing it's life expectancy and I need to buy a new camera. Switching to full frame would mean that I would have to buy *far* up the price range to get the same number of fps and would also have replace the 70-200 with a longer lens (and likely lose the ability to hand hold all day long).

On the other hand, the D7100 appears to have a better viable ISO range than the D300s has (something I am disappointed with), but it has fewer fps, and is lacking the same durable build as one would consider a "pro" level camera.

How do all of you vote? Another 300 or get a 7100 ??
badams007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2013, 7:22 PM   #2

The D7100 is no slouch when it comes to speed- close to 6fps... and in crop mode (1.3x which still offers a resolution of 15mp) can shoot up to 7ps for 100 frames...
Less impressive however is the buffer when shooting RAW, shooting at the same jpeg speed but slowing down after just 6 shots in 24mp (down to roughly 2.5 fps) and 7 frames in crop mode (down to 3.5fps)- with things compromised more shooting RAW + Jpeg.

The AF system is similar to the D300s 51 AF point system, though some users say the D7100 is slightly quicker plus better in lower light - also bear in mind when using crop (15mp) mode the AF sensors covers even more of the frame...

I personally wouldn't consider full frame for sports or wildlife shooting for all of the reasons you mention- and the high iso performance of APS-C sensors is pretty darn good these days... especially on the D7100...

With regards build,the D300s is a tough old boot,but the D7100 isn't too flimsy either...

The resolution of the D7100 is also hard to ignore,effectively adding a bit onto the long end of your 70-200mm lens with its cropping potential- even in the 15mp crop mode..!

If you don't shoot RAW often,then I'm sure the D7100 wouldn't disappoint in any area- thought the D300s is still a great camera...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 9:03 PM   #3

I am just missing something about the "crop" mode on a crop sensored camera? Does that mean the field is even narrower?

I shoot RAW exclusively but do only short bursts (4-5 frames) when doing action stuff (horse over a jump, agility dog on weaves), so I'm not sure how much the buffering issue you mention would be a problem??

Maybe it's time to rent one and see what I think.
badams007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 7:58 AM   #4

Yes,the field of view would be narrower in the D7100's 1.3x crop mode- could be handy if you need a touch more zoom(with same aperture setting),and increasing the fps and amount of frames in a burst... and effectively covering more of the frame with its AF area...Given it's still decent resolution of 15mp- I'd say this feature has some potential...

Given the small/short bursts of RAW shooting you plan,the D7100's shortcoming in this area might not be an issue- though bear in mind it takes about 5 seconds for the buffer to clear for another complete RAW burst...

Renting one might be a good idea to see if it's adequate for your needs...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote