Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:08 PM   #1

Default Sports Photography

I am shooting pictures for my childrens' teams---ngiht football, volleyball and basketball. My current lens 55-300, af 5 comes out blurry.. I was looking at the 80-200 af2.8. Is that the best lens to use for this? I am a single mom on a limited budget.

THANKS!!!
merlyn210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:23 AM   #2

The 80-200 2.8 is better than what you currently have. BUT, it requires a focus drive in the camera body and not all Nikon cameras have that drive any more. So, what nikon body are you shooting with?

Even if your body has a drive, you'll find that AF is still a bit problematic for sports. It's a sharp lens and great for other purposes, but the lack of a focus motor in the lens itself hurts it's performance for sports work.

You may want to consider the sigma 70-200 2.8 OS instead - it's the same price as the nikon 80-200 2.8 but has a built-in focus motor so you should see better focus performance.

The nikon 70-200 2.8 VR II would be the best choice, but that's pricey.

For volleyball and basketball you can expect to use ISO 3200-6400 in well lit gyms, 6400-12800 in poorly lit gyms. a 70-200 2.8 is a great lens for that.

For football - are you shooting from the sidelines or outside the fence?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:16 PM   #3

I have a Nikon D5000. I will be shooting from the sidelines for football. Thanks for the reply! I can use all the help and advice I can get!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:54 PM   #4
Administrator

The Nikon D5000 camera body does not have a built in focus motor.

That means that you'll need a lens with a motor build in if you want Autofocus. See this page for more details:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...,-d3100,-d3000,

So, you would not have Autofocus with a lens like the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D; as that lens does not have a built in focus motor.

With your camera body, you'll need an AF-S (the S stands for Silent Wave Focus Motor) in order to have Autofocus; making the 80-200mm a very bad choice (unless you want to use manual focus with it).

So, I'd suggest moving to a different type of lens (unless you want to upgrade your camera body to one with a focus motor built in). For example, the Sigma 70-200mm OS lens that JohnG mentioned does have a built in focus motor, as it has Sigma's HSM (Hypersonic Motor) technology built in, meaning it would allow Autofocus with your D5000 body. Or, you could move up to a Nikkor 70-200mm AF-S VR lens instead (pricey).

But, unfortunately, the D5000 camera body does not have a focus motor built into it. So, that means you can't use lenses like the 80-200mm f/2.8 if you want Autofocus. You'll need a Nikkor Af-S lens (with a built in motor), or something like a Sigma HSM lens (also with a built in motor) instead if you want Autofocus.

In the current Nikon lineup, you'd need to move up to a D7000 in order to get a camera body that would allow Autofocus with a lens like the 80-200mm f/2.8 you're looking at (as the D7000 has a focus motor built into the camera body, and your D5000 does not).

Bottom line... you would not be able to use a lens like the Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D with your D5000 if you want Autofocus, since that lens does not have a built in motor for Autofocus, and your D5000 camera body does not have a built in motor for Autofocus.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the great info. I am looking into a d7000 now so that I can meet my obligations to the sports' teams that have asked me to volunteer to shoot their games.